Small sump - 30x30. Advice please

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Matt, 24 Dec 2009.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

I need a sump for my tank, limited space available.

Will a sump that is 30cm x 30 cm be sufficient for a sump with a DSB and a TS1 skimmer?

What would a sump this size cost?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Matt, I seriously doubt ho efficient such a small setup would be as a TS1 has a 100 mm diamater (if I remember correctly), maybe do a scrubber in stead of DSB.

4. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

The sump will be fitted to a 24G Nano cube, so my main reason for the sump is to
    1. Run the TS1 skimmer
    2. Increase water volume slightly
    3. Be able to setup a cooling system (fans etc) so the nano doesnt overheat :)

If I can't run a DSB I might just have a compartment for chaeto? Not keen on an ATS.

Would 30 x 30 suffice? if the diameter of the TS1 is 100mm then I have 20mm to play with regarding chato/small DSB compartment

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I really think that's going to be too small to be effective. Why not run a DSB in the display tank?

You could also look into running an RDSB (Remote Deep Sand Bed) also known as "DSB in a bucket", search for that on Reef Central or the Marine Depot forums.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The TS1 and some live rock or chaeto in the other compartment will be fine. A DSB that small will be ineffective.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. inflames

inflames

Agreed that a DSB that size would really not make any difference! You would have to go bigger!

8. Falcon

Falcon

so combine everyones suggestions and solve all your needs.

1.place an in tank dsb(works great for my nano i used playsand)
    2.build your sump with ts1 skimmer.adds water volume also
    3 add scrubber to the sump this will definitely keep your nano cooler as the air cools it:)

sorted.why dont you want in tank dsb and ats?..they easy to do

9. Matt

I'm thinking of going BB with the nano, and the tank is going to be in my study so i'm not sure if the ATS will be noisy?

I think thats a good idea though Falcon!

Would the sump be simple 3 compartments? 1st skimmer, 2nd Scubber/chaeto, 3rd can keep return pump and auto topup etc??

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yes Matt, 3 compartments is fine. If you're going with chaeto or ATS, you'll need a light in the sump area. If you don't want to do that, just keep live rock in the compartment - should get some nice sponges and other types of filter feeders growing in the dark ;) - the live rock is natural filtration as it also has anearobic activity deep inside, converting ammonia to nitrites to nitrates and then to nitrogen :)

11. Matt

Sweet ;)

I wonder, the guys running fans over there sumps/scrubbers to cool down the tank. Do these fans come on automatically depending on tank temperature, or do most guys just have them on 24/7?

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You would need a controller of some sorts to let the fan come on when water temp rises to high.

13. Matt

The space between the two shelves on the stand I wanted to use is not big enough to house a TS1 skimmer....

So I am thinking of putting the 24g nano on my desk and having sump underneath.

Few questions:
    1.) desk is quite large, I'm hoping it can easily hold the weight of the nano??
    2.) should I build a slightly larger sump? Maybe 40x40??
    3.) can I house the sump on the floor? Maybe just some polystyrene underneath?

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

1 - Just make sure there are supports under the desk that it doesn't cause the top to sag.
    2 - Sump size will depend on what you want to put inside it.
    3 - Yes, it can be on the floor, but it has to have polystyrene under the glass, otherwise it will crack.

15. Falcon

Falcon

yes but not in that order...i would place the ats first so that it doesnt need its own pump and you can simply use the return's water to power it.secondly any filaments of algae that may fall of form the ats will be removed by the skimmer so it fail safes you in a way.

why not just set the fan to come on with lights as thats when the tank heats up the most.

that is true but unfortunately its not as good at removing nutrients as an ats/vodka/other methods so i wouldnt rely on that unless i have a huge live rock/refuguim/sponge grow out area compare to my fish load/tank size.

in your case this area will be too small to remove enough nutrients for your dt.

16. Matt

Falcon please explain about the ATS - how exactly do you have one that does not require its own pump? Sorry being a bit blonde here...

17. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Does size really matter!!!!!

I have been running a 375x375x540 tank for 2 months now and after reading the red quote I would like to ask the general feel of other reefers. I have two dsb's, one attached to the back panel of the tank and one in the sump below the tank.

Back of tank dsb/sump/overflow 190x375x380h

Sump size 450x320x320 high. 3 Compartments in the sump, 1st. gets the overflow from the behind tank sump and also houses a TS2 skimmer next to a carbon filter. Second is the triangular dsbwith the last chamber housing the return and chiller pumps.

Do you think the dsb's will work when mature and does it matter if one has two seperate dsb's if space allows no better configuration? I did 2 because it increased the surface area.

Btw the tank and coral in it seems to be doing well up to now and I thought I would have a much bigger algae issue since the tank is lit by a 20000k MH globe plus a actinic tube.:wave2:

dsb at the back of the tank 190x250x190 deep

dsb in the bottom sump is a triangle 150x320x180 deep

Recent Posts