Small network.

Discussion in 'Internet' started by Shaun, 3 Jul 2008.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Looks like we have some IT guys on the forum so what to pic some brains.

I am current running 2 PC 1 NB and the printer on my network. The PC and NB share files from 1 PC, my main one. What is the best way to run the network. I see now MS have MS TCP/IP version 6. At the moment running the old one with each PC manually assigned and IP address.

Was told by a friend to run IPCOP, but never got it going.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

NB?

4. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

= Note Book.:) wireless.

I have my ADSL Router +8 port router 100/1000. plus wireless hub for NoteBook. Got the extras to run a "Server" or IPCOP.

5. Rory

Oh ok.

IPv6 isn't really an MS only thing, but they do sort of support it in XP and I think support it fully in Vista. The main reason for IPv6 is because they were running out of numbers with IPv4 (from 1.1.1.1 to 254.254.254.254 basically) so I don't see any reason to run a network with 4 pc's on IPv6.

Does your ADSL router dial up your ADSL account itself or do you dial different connections from the different PC's?

Why do you actually want to run IPCOP? What are you trying to achieve with this?

6. Shaun

I used to "Dial up" but now 24/7. Run the ADSL router to 8 port, as it is faster PC-PC.

Was told to run IPCOP as it would make the network more secure as it is Linux, or some thing like that.

7. Rory

If your router dials the internet connection the mechanism it uses to let PC's on the network access the internet (NAT) already prevents any incoming connections being made. (ie. someone on the internet open a connection to your pc on your network, but you pc can initiate the connection to any other pc on the internet). This provides a layer of protection as the windows pc's basically can't be scanned etc from the internet. Just make sure you have a good password on your adsl router and if possible disable connections from outside the network.

Make sure you have antivirus/antispyware software on all the pc's because if you have spyware it can still connect to sites on the internet etc.

The biggest thing to watch out though is probably the wireless router. You should enable a secure connection if you haven't already. There are 2 main ways to secure wireless networks. WEP and WPA. WEP is useless as it has been cracked a long long time ago. WPA is pretty decent so enable it if your wireless router supports it. You will then need to configure the connection on your NB to use a password.

Running IPCOP won't just magically make your network more secure. It is a firewall which means that basically it is only good for filtering traffic going through it but in order to make it effective you have to know exactly what traffic is good and what's bad.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Use Private IP addresses (ie. in the range, 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254, OR 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254).

These IP addresses were meant for "private network use" - which means INSIDE a private work-place. Meaning - that these IP addresses are not registered with the Internet Forum, belonging to a specific company.

Anyone can use it.

You can connect the printer to the "main PC" - make the printer "shared".

Then assign static IP addresses to each PC/Notebook in the Network connection (TCP/IP) properties. Select one of the ranges I mentioned above, to use. ie. PC1: 10.0.0.2 ; PC2: 10.0.0.3; Notebook: 10.0.0.4; Main PC/server: 10.0.0.10

The IP addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.254 is usually "reserved" for use with a router, ie, ADSL router....

Hope this helps.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Thalion,sorry to hijack.
    ive got 2 pc's and one laptop at my place.using an ADSL wifi router.how do i link all these together so i can create a small network?

10. Mekaeel

oh yes,one pc runs on XP the other on Vista home basic and my laptop on Vista business

11. Rory

Just connect them all to the wifi/adsl router :p

12. Mekaeel

they are connected using Wifi.but how do i gain access from say my laptop to one of my desktop pc's?

13. Rory

Enable file sharing basically... Add all you pc's to the same workgroup to make it easier for them to find each other by going to my computer > properties and changing the workgroup to the same one on all of them.

14. Rory

You must log in to your router and look for a setting something like "wireless isolation". This setting means that any wireless devices will only be able to access the internet side of the router, not the normal network side, so disable that if it is set. If you can't find it then the router probably doesn't have it.

15. Mekaeel

cool.dont think my modem has that feature.
    by the way,when you coming to Durbz?:p

16. Rory

Why what's in durbz? :p

Nothing planned for a long while... Haven't even been back to ct since I moved up here...

17. Shaun

Thx Guys, that is basically how I am running at the moment. My printer has is own IP address and connects directly to router.

One more question. In mapping network drives I keep on getting the following message and can't find the settings to change.

"Please go to the control Panel to install and configure system componets"

When I try adding a trust rule in access it then gives me a message.

The remote or Network path you have entered is not allowed by your current security settings"

I can view and edit doc's on the other pc , but with access I want to set the trust path to the network pc so I don't always have it's trust message.

Hope somebody can help with this.:thumbup:

18. Rory

Is this trust path stuff on vista?

19. Shaun

Recent Posts