Slow RO

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by crispin, 8 Feb 2008.

1. crispin

crispin

Hi guys,
    Ok i finally have my first empty tank set up. 680l of beautiful air needs to be transformed. I got a second hand RO unit and i am not sure that i have it right as its very slow. The good water coming out is basically a drop every 2 seconds, and as i was hoping to be getting LR soon (ok i lie, tomorrow!) thats not really going to cut it. I have diconected the outflow from the gel section so its only going thru the two main canisters and the membrane at the mo. I think my water pressure might be too low.

However is it worth getting mature water from the tank that is being dismantled and fulling mine with that, or am I taking a HUGE risk with possible difficulties from another reefer? Should i try get ready made RO water?

I have three options
    1 make my own over the next 9 weeks
    2 get mature tank water
    3 get ro water from others

Oh and i will be needed sump help too, but not quite yet...as everyone says here baby steps:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

If the other reefers tank hasn't had anything really bad then I'd say get some of that, but rather try get some of his rock or sand.

Your RO unit is very slow at a drop every 2 seconds. It could be your water pressure but it probably isn't. Whereabouts are you?

If you get RO water from anywhere else get a tds meter and test it yourself. Refuse it if over 10 TDS or so. A TDS meter is a good investment even if you have your own RO unit.

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Ok, to start your tank off, in your case it may be best to get shop bought R/O, simply to save time.
    But, disconecting the end stage filter on your R/O has made the water collected useless, it is the membrane that is the business end of the filter that ensures the water is good enough for your tank.
    If you have low pressure you can buy a pump to increase the flow (in fact it is reccommended) also you say it is second hand, how old are the filters? do they look clean or the colour of tea?
    I would replace all three filters, buy a restictor valve for the waste water( reduces flow out to waste and puts more pressure through the membrane and speeds up the good water flow, and then fit taps to the inlet and outlet pipes to shut down the filter when not in use, this keeps the membrane wet and prolongs it's life

5. LikesFish

LikesFish

Nope you guys have it wrong. He disconnected the DI resin canister... Not the membrane - he calls it the gel). I think the issue is that the waste water valve is open and not closed - hence no back pressure on the membrane.

Please close the valve. It should then be fine.

6. LikesFish

LikesFish

PPS: No need to replace the filters - they all are less than 3 months old.

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol: your R/O unit per chance? yep, closing the waste valve shoves more pressure through the r/o membrane and increases flow.

Second that, at 3 months old there is plenty of life left in them

8. LikesFish

LikesFish

Indeed. This is how the valve should look like:

[​IMG]

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

You close yours right off do you? i have always left the valve on mine open slightly.
    I have no valid reason for doing so, but it just "seemed" right

10. brentnorm

brentnorm

where about in SA are you crispin ?

11. LikesFish

LikesFish

Well the little drawing shows the normal position as properly closed - system works great like this. About 4-5 TDS without DI resin.

12. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

ok the valve is closed:) promise. even farmers figure valves out:) although i think it leaks slightly so i will get it replaced. ANd yes i opened the canisters to see if the filters could do with a wash and other than some solid particles they seem in great shape. I am sure the unit is perfect (perhaps not the waste water valve) so I am sure its a water pressure issue. I have good water pressure on my municipal water so will give that a go tomorrow.

i am in 4ways jhb brent.

13. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

i remebered u saying that i could bypass the resin so i did that, i know know why u had three of the things outside:)

14. LikesFish

LikesFish

It does not make sense. 5 days ago I made about 400L of RO water with that unit (and the other two). They all worked perfectly. Even with low water pressure it will still make RO water faster than that.
    PS: The small leak in that valve is nothing to worry about.

15. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Dont attach it your your tank water, stick it on the mains supply, that is the best pressure

16. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

ok i will try put a small booster pump to increase the pressure. I dont mind it going slowly its just at the mo I want to get LR and start cycling. I live in fear of mo9derators (have u seen kanga's guns??) shooting me for not cycling properly. Besides i have all sorts of test kits to play with....toys i cant use yet.

so i am looking for a short term sollution so that I dont murder all the goodies in the LR:)

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I'm confused. You say you are going to connect it to the municipal water line tomorrow. Where is it connected to now?

18. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

viper sorry i dodnt make that clear. I have a farm and as we dont get load sheded here I am settng the tank up at my folks place so the ro unit is currently connected from a gravity fed tank, but about 2 barr pressure. I live in 4ways so i will try connect it there tomorrow

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Oh ok, yeah, gravity fed isn't going to work, you will either need to add a pump on there or use the municipal water line.

p.s. Don't worry too much about the waste flow restrictor leaking, mine also does, but it's just a drip.

20. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

cool, i'll pressurize the sucker:)

21. palmerc

palmerc

Definitely need more pressure. Even with "pressure" I can only get 25l RO in 6 hours.

Why not go buy ready made saltwater from eg Exotics in Boksburg. Will be a lot quicker (About R2.00/litre). Just take enough empty containers. They also sell RO water.

Clinton

Recent Posts