Slime algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by S2, 10 Aug 2009.

1. S2

S2

Hey im new to the community n hv had a brown slime problem for the pas 2months since i moved my tank n changd my substrate to fine aragonite hv dun numerous water changes n used slime remover.the slime is much less nw but stil growin in my aragonite n sticking to my powerheads any advice would b appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

a Little more info of the tank would be helpfull, nitrate levels, phosphates, is it in the sun. Skimmer,filtration,size of the tank ...

4. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed and Pics would help a great deal as well.:thumbup:

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yup, we will need a lot more information before anyone can help...

How old is the system
    Size of tank
    What live stock do you have
    What filtration
    Do you have a skimmer
    Water parameters
    Type & number of lights
    etc. etc.

Hennie

6. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Sori guys gt a 1.2m display tank wit 90cm sump, weipro skimmer, 6 white n 2 blu lites 54watts each, uv sterilzer, gt bout 25kg live rock in display tank getn 20kg more end of month n bout 10kg in the sump, filter mat in the sump wit a bag of carbon. My ph at 8.3, kh 8, salinity 1.024, temp between 24.5-25.8, calcium at 400ppm

7. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Lost most my fish thru power failure the water temp dropd 2 low lost my mandarin, goldrim tang, cleaner wrasse, soloaris goby n my regal tang only 1s left is my coral beauty, blonde naso tang, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 boxer shrimp, clam, candy cane, pineapple coral, bubble coral, 5 diff mushrum polyps n toadstool leatha

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

S2 First of all Welcome to MASA....

Sorry to here about your losses...is thr any chance you could post a pic of you tank...then people can see what you are dealing with...

9. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Hi wud post a pic if i knew how im usin my celfone but gna try n post a pic thanks

10. werner5

werner5

sorry to hear of your loss dude

11. martin

martin Reef Adict

Awating pics, but firstly your skimmer isn't gr8 and when adding live rock expecialy big amounts in relation to the tank one must be 100% certain it is fully cured otherwise you could get a new cycle, huge amonia spikes etc etc. Also filter floss needs replacing ever 2nd or 3rd day.
    We need pic's and info on:
    DT, sump, circulation, light kelvin, lighting periods, waterchanges, filter media changes (carbon) etc etc
    Also water perameters on PO4, Amonia , No3/4, Alkalinity.
    Cheers

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

How long has your tank been running ?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Your kh of 8 is too low.
    Go to the calculators page and use the one for Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium.

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Although I'm having real difficulty deciphering your text (please write in proper text in future...), I would venture a guess that you moved your tank about two months ago, and changed the substrate at the same time. If this is correct, then it's pretty normal to have a diatom (golden-brown algae) outbreak. You removed a large portion of your biological filter (the old substrate), and replaced it with the "aragonite" which did not house any filtration bacteria at the time, whilst maintaining the same bio-load.

Give it another month or two, and it should have cleared, IF you address the concerns raised by others regarding the bio-balls, etc.

Hennie

15. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

Rowa phos is a phosphate reactor should clear up the problem.

16. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Correct reef maniac since last week the slime has become much less after doing water change every second week ,syphoning the slime out my sand cleaning my powerheads

17. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Firstly, I think you need to start a thread in the members section.

The problem sounds like a diatom bloom to me too. Have to agree with Martin, weipro isnt a great make of skimmer(You can do worse though). You can do a pinwheel conversion to it and then it will be OK or you can spend your money at the end of the month on a reeftek skimmer or something like it instead of more rock. I am talking from experience, I installed a Reeftek TS1 skimmer which I got second hand for R700 or something. At first didn't seem to be working then all of a sudden it kicked in and the weipro has almost stopped skimming cause the reeftek is outperforming it. You can always add liverock bit by bit. I think a good skimmer is a better investment in the beginning.

This is all my opinion, lets see if anyone else agrees. There are some "naturalists" that probably wanna kill me for saying get a better skimmer instead of rock. The reason I say it is you can't buy a skimmer bit by bit.

18. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Steve i agree with you about the skimmer and fortunately i wont be geting the live rock this month .and very sad to say my tank will be going .but at the same time extremely excited because im getting a new tank this weekend i made a trade with my dad so im gona start from scratch and get the proper equipment first time around. The tank well actually second hand is a 1.5m long, 600 wide, i think 800 high. The sump is a 1.2m long, 500 wide, 500 high will keep you guys posted on the progress and hopefully get those pictures for you guys.

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

S2 like Fishy mentioned above a good skimmer is a must...

20. S2

S2 Thread Starter

I agree too n spoke to my dad about upgrading the skimmer maybe to a reef octopus or something .budget kinda tight nw

21. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Hey guys just updating my progress with the algae the tank is clear from any slime algae just done my regular water changes and saw that the slime started going away and with in a week all of it is gone. Unfortunatly havent been able to upgrade the skimmer but its in the works. And was able to convert to pinwheel and happy to say that fish and coral look much healthier.

Recent Posts