Slaked lime info needed

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by flamming angel, 28 Feb 2011.

1. flamming angel

flamming angel

Hi all

Okay so i got my self a pack of slaked lime from the pharmacy. Tested my calcium and its very low... 220. Please can some advise me on how i can dose the slaked lime. I do not have a auto top up unit etc so it will be just be manual adding for now.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

You can take about 2 heaped teaspoons of kalk and mix it with 2 litres of RO water. Let the kalk settle and decant the clear liquid and drip it into your tank. Repeat this until you reach the 420ppm of calcium

4. flamming angel

flamming angel Thread Starter

thanks tony. And it can go from 210 to 420 all in a day with out having and impact on other things?

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Raising your calcium will take a few days. Add the 2litres everynight. Test every few days, so can see whats happening to your Ca.

Just a tip, test your Alk and Mg also these 3 elements need to be in balance and you might find it hard adjusting one and not the other.

6. Tony

Tony

Like butcherman said, do it slowly over a few days. You dont want to shock your tank. The kalk will give you both calcium and alkalinity but you will have to dose you Mag seperately but not at the same time as your kalk.

Ca 420ppm
    Alk 7-9 DKH
    Mag 1350 ppm

These parameters will balance your system and parameters as they exist in proportion

7. flamming angel

awesome great info will do as told. Thanks guys

8. Suhayl

Suhayl

Kalk wont raise calcium. Get a good quality cacium like Bio Calcium by Tropic Marin and raise your calcium slowly as instructed. Use the Tropic Marin Triple Buffer also but not together at the same time. Than you should look at your magnesium too. I use kalk stirrer for top up but add lots of calcium cloride to keep up with calcium demands. I dont advide you use the kalk as you for a beginner jy soek vir kak.

9. Tony

Tony

Suhayl, Kalk is about 50 percent calcium by volume so it's a good source of calcium among other benefits. TM Bio calcium is a brilliant product and I use it only but you need to balance the Alk, Cal and Mag first before using it as it provides those things in it's correct ratio. Once the system is balanced the bio calcium will maintain everything perfectly

Calcium chloride is a quick but not a long term solution because of the chloride imbalance it can cause with the addition of too many chloride ions to the salt mix. Frequent water changes does dilute this but one has to be religious with them.

10. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

using kalk to raise calcium wont work, your pH will go through the roof and possibly kiil everything you have. Using calcium chloride to raise and kalk to maintain is a better solution.

11. flamming angel

okay guys gona do alot of reading into this. Thanks for all the info

Recent Posts