Skimz HS1

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Mc, 15 Dec 2011.

1. Mc

Mc

Hi All

Does anyone one know anything about, or have any experience with the skimz hs1 protein skimmer? I saw them at a LFS the other day and I am thinking of upgrading the skimmer in my boyu TL550. It looks like it will fit I still need to measure it, unless someone knows where I can get the dimensions from. There doesn't seem to be much info about them on the web even on there website.

2. Guest

3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. erratiC

erratiC

I know Len got the Hydor Slim Skim - if you can't get the HS1 possibly consider getting one of these... http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=26704&page=2.

I'm looking to get one after I've got my big tank up and running.

5. OP
    Mc

Mc

I have seen Len's tank but I really like the look of this skimmer and for R1800 I think it looks quite good. Thanks Belinda I have seen that thread but there doesn't seem to be any info on the HS1 I think they are quite new. The biggest problem is getting a good skimmer that fits in the 550 without any modifications.

6. belindamotion

:lol::lol:..happy hunting...:p Thats why I still got the original shit Boyu Skimmer in my small little TL-450...the HYDOR will fit...I'm sure of it...I was going to get it until I worked out I was short of about 1cm...:(

7. OP
    Mc

Mc

That sucks but this one looks like it might just fit, I guess I will have to go to the shop with a tape measure to be sure.

8. belindamotion

9. OP
    Mc

Mc

Thanks

10. OP
    Mc

Mc

So I decided to go for the skimz HS1 which I purchased on sunday. Found out later that the problem is it doesn't stand out of the water enough, as the lid pushes it down forcing the water to overflow.:( After cutting the abou 15mm off the top of the cup it works a litlle better but I still have to empty it every day. I have tried lifting the skimmer up and lowering the cup, this also helped a little but not enough. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

11. Evo R

Evo R

Drill the bottom of the skimmer cup, add some clear airline tube the leads out of your tank and into a 500ml plastic bottle and presto......no more cleaning the cup everyday.

Mc likes this.
  12. OP
    Mc

Mc

Interesting idea but with my auto top off I don't you think that will mess up my salinity? Also my water level is still a bit low and I was hoping to raise it up a bit.

13. erratiC

erratiC

Was just about to suggest the same thing :thumbup:

If you're worried about your salinity dropping you could just add a tiny bit of salt to your ato to make up the difference taken out?

Mc likes this.
  14. OP
    Mc

Mc

Good idea, I will do that if I don't find another solution, I was just trying to find another way so that I can fill the tank up a bit more, cause if I fill it up now the water is gonna be pouring over.

Recent Posts