skimming wet

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by mytank, 2 Sep 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Guys and gals

I need some clarification of what skimming web means.

Does it mean every second there are some drops into the bottle attached to the cap. Does it mean there is a constant flow of skim mate into the bottle?

I am never sure if i am skimming wet or i am just skimming normal.

Also what is the optimal. When the bubbles are right at the top touching the top cap of the skimmer or when there is a health amount of bubbles come over the side?

Thanks for the advise

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hermanus

Hermanus

Skimming wet is when there is a lot of let's say dirty water in the cup or bottle in a day's time. Skimming dry is when the skimmate is more of a green mud to thick fluid. I will set the water level in the skimmer at the neck of the skimmer. There must not be bubbles running over the neck of the skimer, then you are just pumping out water. I put my water level of the skimmer at the entrance of the neck of the skimmer. After a while it will make a sort of foam on top of the neck.

dallasg likes this.
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the more watery the wetter the skimmate, the more thicker and syrupy the skimmate the dryer

5. duanead

duanead

skimming for softies and few sps.

Hi guys just want to know what type of skimming is needed for say mostly softy tank with a few sps corals?wet or dry can someone advise me please

6. archiecrain

archiecrain

Dont think either makes much difference really.....wetter needs more frequent cleaning of the skimmer cup than dry....dry smell pretty bad.

At the end of the day all that matters is that you are removing the waist, doesnt matter wet or dry, I thinks its up to personal preferance, so experiment with what you like.

Alan likes this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass

Wetter IMHO would be better, are you not exporting more crap that way, it also forces you to clean the cup more often, keeping the neck of the skimmer clean is key. I try to clean the cup every 2 - 3 days or so. But must add that i have of late started skimming wetter.

If it is set to dry skim won't it take longer to finally start to bubble out the neck and into the cup? How I understand it, am I wrong?

Recent Posts