Skimmers: What maintenance ?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by VicZA, 29 Jan 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

I was wondering ... in order to keep your skimmer efficient and make sure it lasts a good long time, what maintenance should you do on it and what sort of frequency.

You obviously empty the cup quite regularly but how often should you clean the neck? Do you do anything to the pump? what about the silencer? .... that sort of thing

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I have a Reef Octopus HOB-2000 and don't even use the silencer can't notice any difference to be honest.. you can clean the inside of the body as often is needed but due to the high turbulence I've noticed that not much gets stuck there. as for the neck you ha e to clean it every to e you empty the cup IMO.. reason for that is that if there is buildup on the neck the bubbles will not reach the top and pop way earlier.. that's that I've noticed at least.. clean neck makes for better skimming

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

as for the pump.. one day I noticed that my skimmer wasn't making as many bubbles as it normally used to so I took the pump apart fearing the worst like a broken impeller or shaft just to find that there were few bugs stuck in between the needles.. I cleaned them out and everything was back to normal... I think pinwheel impellers require more often cleaning that normal ones but I'm general I would say once a month should be OK

Recent Posts