Skimmers, differance between external and in-sump

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by magman, 22 Oct 2009.

1. magman

magman

Hi All,

I am looking at building my own skimmer, I want a monster, I will be pumping air in, gravity fed from the DT (if I can), as well as pump water in with more air.

But design wise, what is the big differance between an in sump skimmer and an external in design, Sims did try and explain it to me, but I still have no idea.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

I would personally think that the only difference is so that you can make a bigger sump!

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

external skimmers need a seperate feed pump to supply them with the water due to be skimmed, internal skimmers uitilise the same pump that is driving the skimmer as a feed pump.. their effieciency is debatable with theories ranging from recuirc skimmers skimming more thoroughly and internal skimmers more volume due to them processing more water as it passes the pump..

i love big skimmers in general but its important to take your corals and fishes interests to heart.. certain corals may not need as vigirous skimming and ctually thrive on the higher nutrient value..

perhaps give is more info on what you have in mind and we can more clearly help you to reach your objective..

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

MagMan - I think personally, the fact that external skimmers mostly have recirculating pumps, makes the biggest difference. Where in-sump skimmers don't have this recirculating pump design.

The recirculating pump, according to my logic, assists HUGELY in how efficient the skimmer is....

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

Eish, this is a hard desicion.

Here goes, I have a weipro sa2015 skimmer, which I think I have skimming right now, but it is an in-sump skimmer, and I would much prefer the space it takes in the sump for more bio diversity, my sump is 4 foot, with dsb over all 4 feet. Even my return pump sits in a ice cream box in the DSB.

The current skimmer is also not the best, it is rated upto 200gl (my system is probably 600l) so may be a bit small.

I was looking at going for a scrubber, but not anymore with the last discussions on it.

I do have a light bio load in numbers of fish at present, but am feeding fairly heavy, I truelly believe the livestock must be well fed, including the anenomes who each get a prawn every 3 days. I will continue stocking, still a few more fish I want.

I am doing biggish water changes, about 10-20% a week, I will maybe start slowing this down, but do not dose or use any additives, as I have been relying on the water changes.

I think maybe I should leave it as is, there is no signs of any algea, and if things are running well, maybe I should not change.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

consistent water changes,good lighting, good skimming and suffiecient LR those are the main factors i persist on..

the skimmers of today will kick your weirpro skimmers butt.. the one hassle about recuirc is the possibility of leaking.. i have after all these years gone insump.. just got tired of the leaks and my skimmer stands outside my house..

Recent Posts