Skimmers and Lighting

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by slless9, 30 Apr 2011.

1. slless9

slless9

hi, im new to the marine tanks, ive been reading a lot of articles and some contradicing each other, two simple questions, (i Hope):

1. protein skimmer - does this have to run 24hrs a day 7 days a week, or can i do a few times a week or hours a day?

2. Lighting, other than the 10-12 hours daylight (got the blue night light), can the lights be off totally, including the blue LED?

on both of the above, ive been told by reputable pet store, that it is possible for skimmer run 3-4 times a week and the lightning can go off (total darkness) few hours per day) Kinda like views of guys that out there already

Thoughts?
    thanks
    shane

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey OK question 1:

The best is to run the skimmer 24/7, it keeps out all the filth and other nutrients that causes algae and bacteria problems. If the tank is old and very stable with biological filtration eg, live rock, macro algae. Then you can take chance to switch the skimmer of a day or two a week, in my opinion it should always be on.

2:
    What lights do you have? The first problem most of us have is thinking that aquarium lights should stay on 12 hours because most of us see 12 hours of light a day. The truth of the matter is only 6 hours of this light can be used by the corals in nature. Thus we only have to switch on our main lights for 6-8 hours. This helps keep algae low and the tank healthy. The actinics(blue light) you can run 12 hours a day. The LED's are normally moonlights. Did you buy a unit, if you did explain in detail please eg, wattage, type of lights, quantity, kelvin rating etc. Here is a rought timeline on how lighting normally work effective.

8:00-9:00 moonlights come on
    9:00-10:00 Actinics or blue lights come on
    10:00-17:00 All lights are on, the white,blue and if you want the LED
    17:00-18:00 white lights switch off
    18:00-19:00 blue lights switch off
    19:00-20:00 LED's switch of leaving tank in darkness until the cycle continues

4. slless9

slless9 Thread Starter

thanks for info.

I have a Boyu TL550 tank, the lights are 2 x 24W (there two tubes on both on is white and other blue ), says 10,000K on each. the LED's are on when the above lights are not on. from what i can see its flourescent. I threw box away that had specs on but that is from the actual tank inside stats on the canopy

the schedule is very useful.....and makes lotta sense.

regards

PS - Like the joke.....

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, it must run 24/7. There are quite a few reasons for this, but the simplest (and very important) reason is that the skimmer needs 24-48 hours after start-up before it is properly "run in" and producing optimum foam.

Yes, the lights MUST be totally off for at least 6-8 hours (IMHO) every night. Not only do corals need darkness for the growth/replacement of their symbiotic algae, many small inverts/goggas need darkness as well to spawn/breed, AND fish need to sleep as well. After all, the moon does not shine right through the night, and for periods of time every month there is virtually no moon - thus very dark (but I suppose that many city slickers won't believe me :eek:)

Looks like your LFS/pet store is pretty reputable :thumbup:

Hennie

Recent Posts