Skimmer

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by rudivh, 3 May 2010.

1. rudivh

rudivh

Om i know a skimmer is important in a tank, but what exactly does it take out of the water that is so important and what will happen if a skimmer dont work properly or break for a while?

How do you know the skimmer is doing what its supposed to?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there rudi ... the easiest way to know if your skimmer is working is for you to have a dark coffee looking liquidy looking substance in the collection cup and it usually has a very foul smelling SMELL! But it depends on your bioload as well ... and since you have just started you shouldn't have too much of gunk in the cup .... Also please post a pic of the skimmer so we can "see" if it is set properly ... you need to have like "foam" just spilling over into the collection cup ... but pics will help us help you...

4. rudivh

rudivh Thread Starter

Yeah i just started so the guys said it will take a few months before it will really start working, but every now and again when i open the tank i see the cup is filled with water, and thats why i asked the question if that happens that the skimmer doesnt work for a day or so, will it cause much trouble or not really? It is a boyu talk so its a bit hard to see the skimmer and stuff cause its all in a back compartment of the tank.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you are not emptying the cup at least weekly, then something is wrong. Or does it drain somewhere? Obviously not, else it would not be full of water.

It should fill up and the neck should be coated in a layer of yucky stinking stuff. Then you need to clean it.

6. rudivh

rudivh Thread Starter

Yeah but as i understand it this will only happen once the tank has been running for a few months. At this stage the bio load isnt big enough yet? Thats a question and a statement, as that is how i understand it but please correct me if im wrong!

7. Trev

Trev

If its filling up with water then its not skimming correctly and needs to be set right. Unfortunately I have 0 experiance on those small tanks and so I can help but it could be to much air or to much pressure inside the skimmer. As the dudes have said what sould be in the cup must be darkish in colour and smelly not clear like water.

Trev

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What do you have in the tank? Any bio load and any food you give should make the skimmer react. Even a bit. Else it is not set up correctly. Maybe the level is too low, and no bubbles can reach to the neck. And the few times it did was when skimmer reacted and you ended up skimming very wet.
    Unless your tank is only cycling, and after the first week, then the skimmer could do nothing. In first week, you might get some stuff from the rocks.

So please provide more detail on your tank itself.

Recent Posts