Skimmer

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by gMAN, 27 Feb 2010.

1. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Hey guys, I have a TS1 Skimmer and was wondering how often it should be cleaned? My ocean size is 4FT

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mnd123

mnd123

gMAN, as in the cup? I have 2 x TS1's and a TS4, I empty my cups whenever they fill up, and clean the cup under fresh water of all the accumulated gunk every month or so.

I do nothing to the main body - this is encrusted with tube worms, sponges and coralline ;)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi gMan - ditto to what Marc said. Difference for me - my skimmer cup (which takes +-8 litres of skimmate) empties directly into a 25 litre drum.... so - I empty my 25 litre drum once it's is full.

I do also clean the neck of my skimmer cup once in a while when the gunk has clogged it up too much...

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there Jacquesb - meant to ask you awhile back - are there any pics the way your cup drains into the drum - I see my OCTX has a small "drain plug" that is closed with a rubber stopper - but I'm thinking is I can remove this then use a small diameter tubing to go to the drum or bucket that will store the skim mate untill full - but is there no undesirable smells around with this method?[​IMG]I know if remove the cup for emptying .... my aircon goes into TURBO mode for at least 1 hour after that coz of the pong!

6. mnd123

mnd123

Jacques, Chiks

Issue I have with draining is suchly, the other day I added a new piece of foam to my sump, something in this foam set my TS4 off and it went BANANAS...I only noticed it later and the skimmer was overflowing something wicked.

Now, had I drained that into a 25L drum, I would have dumped about the same amount of RO into the tank (god help me if I was RO directly in from the tap), and probably flooded my damned study (again I hear you all say...)

Just a thought....

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Thanx for your "Just a thought...." Got my mind into gear as well and after a long time did a salinity test after your post - guess what? It is dropping but very very slowly - could lead a disaster if my skimmer does go beserk.... I guess didnt bother to check as everything seems to be ok in the tank for months now - nothing going cuckoo's or dying - will have to bring the SG up again slowly over the next few days - Thanx buddy my livestock owe you a few :peroni::peroni: when I'm in Jhb next

8. mnd123

mnd123

Nah warries mate

9. jacquesb

Hi Marc - I have +-1500 to 1600 litres of water. In the grander scheme of things, does 25 litre not make a huge difference. I have so much evaporation IN ANY WAYS, that I replace +-50 to 80 litres of fresh/RO water per week in any case.... So - for me - that would not make any difference at all.

Chica - yes. You just connect ie. a 8 or 10mm pipe to that exit hole on the skimmer cup. And well - in my case, my whole sump/skimmer/skimmate drum is in my garage. So - yes, it probably does give off a very slight smell, but nothing more than the smell of dampness from the sump in any case.....
    And no - the 25 litre drum I use for skimmate does not really stink that much, as the exit hole is +-45/50mm - and this does not let as much of a smell out, as you would think.

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

With all my tanks water volume a tad closer to 2000 Ltrs - so without water changes - only skimming and evaporation - I think that's the reason why it took so long for my SG to drop - I'm calculating my last drama was in October when I had to get a bucket of salt coz the auto top up went wild - so between October and now my SG went from 1.026 to 1.022 but I think because it was so gradual didnt really affect the livestock - and I dont have that many inverts or corals - But before I take things for granted I have to learn to test regularly - not only when I see a problem - coz one day it will be too late - Thanx guys - Will see what I can do to add a drum... If I'm correct your cup never actually gets full - gravity just keeps draining into the drum?

11. jacquesb

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok - will try it with the drum - but if I play my cards right ... I can extend my setup [​IMG](please GOD hear my prayer and make the wife understand) then I will be able to plumb the skimmer's cup direct into our sewer line - lets just wait and see..

Recent Posts