Skimmer - where should it be placed?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Jaco Schoeman, 14 May 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi

Where exactly should I place my internal skimmer? I had a long discussion with Riaan and Scuba yesterday, and hope they read this too...

Scuba mentioned you want your water to flow from the DT into the skimmer, to skimm as much crap out as possible. That makes a lot of sense...

BUT...

What if you want to run your skimmer on a timer? Would the water still just run through it?

The reason why I don't want to skim 24/7, is;
    #1 I wont be having many fish - less bio load
    #2 Skimmers kill of a lot nutrients to that coral feeds on
    #3 Due to point #2, I would run the skimmer at night, when most of the coral species I plan to keep do not eat.

Please give me some advice. :wave2:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Jaco if you're going to hook your overflow up to your skimmer then place it in the first chamber of your sump. I personally wouldn't turn off your skimmer unless it's overrated for your tank size. Skimmers also help oxygenate the water

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

You run your skimmer 24/7 not on a timer. You need to keep it constant or your nutrients fluctuate and thats not the point of a stable system. It does vary a bit in the ocean but keep it constant in your tank. If you are worried about it taking food out of your system feed them a bit more, but keep your skimmer running 24/7. Skimmer must be on or the water running through it is just going through and that could mess up your water quality in the end. Your skimmer must be in your first compartment, i am a fan of external skimmers because they can skim directly from your overflow which is way more efficient. But with an internal all you can do is put it in your 1st chamber and put a little powerhead in there to keep the detritus in suspension so the skimmer can remove it, thats about as efficient as you can get

5. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Build yourself an algae scrubber. Then place your skimmer in a cupboard.

6. Tony

Tony

I wouldn't encourage that. Skimmers are vital to reef systems and the most important piece of filtration

7. keyaam

keyaam

What skimmer will you be using. My skimmers pump sits inside the skimmer. So i placed the inlet of skimmer below the overflow pipe.

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I am looking at a TS1 from Dorry's... And YES Tony, I am also more confident with a skimmer than an algae scrubber... So, skimmer there will be!!!;)

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

i wouldnt rule out an algae scrubber. Maybe not as a sole source of skimming to start of but seeing how Mudshark is doing well with it now that it is established why not? Skimmer and Scrubber until your scrubber is set up properly and then keep your skimmer as a back up

10. Jaco Schoeman

That might work yes... Dont get me wrong, I am all for natural filtration, but I just feel a bit more in control with a Skimmer... :p My previous tank didn't have ANY algae (some cyano once or twice) so I didn't need an algae scrubber. This time round, I will also have space for it, so I will have it (just cause you said so...;))

Another quick question - Carbon!! Does the TS1's have a compartment for it? My previous Red Sea Prizm skimmer had a compartment built for it. Or should one have a carbon reactor (if there even is such a thing...)

11. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Sorry guys... I was just stirring a bit. I fully agree that as Scuba said, your system needs to be mature as does the reefer. An immature system will not be able to buffer any overload on it, so I agree that you definitely need a skimmer running alot of the time, before you can go natural if that's the way you decide to go eventually.

12. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

run your skimmer 24/7, it cant overskim and your want as much crap out as possible. Plus it adds O2 water.

I think it would be bad advise if someone told you to run a skimmer on timers.

13. trad

if its a internal skimmer you cant really plumb it through the overflow. should just place it in the first compartment I like to put some floss at the exit ov the over flow to cleaner the water a bit more

14. Jaco Schoeman

Nah, dont want any floss in my tank :nono:...

What skimmer can you suggest where I can have it in the first compartment (can not be outside my sump (no space) that would not require filter floss etc?

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got everything the other way around and it works for me. Due to space problems when tarting off. Not much space in a 60L sump to have 3 chambers and a descend DSB. First the sump had one smaller glass tank in it that had the skimmer and return.

Now I changed it, but setup is still the same way it used to be.

My overflow runs directly to my scrubber 60 cm wide by 50cm high. That hangs over the DSB and lights only on one side.
    From there to second tank / chamber where I have return pump, heaters and Skimmer. And my skimmer is on a timer from 20:00 to 6:00 (night time). If I can move my scrubber forward a bit and set up extra lights behind it, then my skimmer will be switched of. And then I only do need 2 chambers.

Actually
    Skimmer should be before DSB and Scrubber because it can take out PODS that could go via the return pump for a jolly good ride back to the display to become food.

16. trad

look at the size of your tank. If you have a small budget go for the reeftek/octopus, if you got some bucks go for a deltec. IMO the deltec does work better but i use a reeftek. there are other makes just see what works for you.

Floss it not a bad thing as long as you rinse it weekly, can stop things settling in you sump.

17. trad

I would give the algae srubber a skip until you get the skimmer etc running for a while.

18. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks, Riaan. I will go the following route I think: From dt into first chamber with skimmer, then into second chamber with scrubber, heaters, phosphate reactor, carbon etc... Then I will let that sump flow into another tank / sump, where it will run over a DSB about 30cm x 30cm x 15cm thick, and then gets pumped back out to the dt.

The two sumps will thus be like a staircase...

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sihaya got a thread or posted on a thread about minimum DSB surface area compared to the display tank size. I think your DSB is to small.
    Mine was borderline, 30 by 40 for a 90L display.

also no problem im scrubber hangs above second chamber and DSB. Make it as big as possible, same with DSB, as big as possible.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Recent Posts