Skimmer: What Would You Go For?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As you might know my system will be about 1400l total & i'm in need of skimming equipment...

What option would you choose & why?

(1) 2 x Reef Octopus DNW-200
(2) 1 x the largest Becket style skimmer I can get hold of
(3) other?

I basically want the absolute best value for $$$ + performance on a budget of about R7K

Many thanks for the help!

Cheers,
ant

Do you want the skimmer to be in-sump or an external skimmer?

hi punk.instead of having 2 of the DNW200 why dont you go for one DNW 300.its an awsome skimmer and great value for money

Do you want the skimmer to be in-sump or an external skimmer?

preferably external as i've got a separate "kitchen style" cabinet for it & some other equipment i might run

i wanted to maximize my sump area, moolis is putting in 2 very large DSBs / refugiums + topup unit in my 2 tank cabinets (remember i'm linking 2 tanks as one system)

hi punk.instead of having 2 of the DNW200 why dont you go for one DNW 300.its an awsome skimmer and great value for money

hmmm... andrew said that:
"The one other nice thing with running two skimmers is that you can set one for wet skimming and one for dry skimming to get the best of both worlds so to speak. However you can have a great tank with just the one skimmer. Will have to let you decide…"

i haven't a clue what the difference between wet/dry skimming is but wouldn't it be cool to have both? also nice backup if one decides to give trouble?

thanks! :)

so will i be able to setup the DNW200's to skim wet / dry? how do you do that? thanks!

Hi Anthony, i personally always run 2 skimmers on my system, placed in different sections of the system, great peace of mind. Reef octo are gr8 value for money. An alternative in that price range is the ATI BM 250 but that is an in sump skimmer.

Last edited:
You can set pretty much any skimmer between wet and dry. After you get your skimmer you will need to "tune" it a bit by altering the water level up and down. With the water level high you get very watery skimmate ("wet") and with it very low you more solid ("dry") skimmate but it doesn't take out as much.

i reckon a DNW 200. best value for money. and as iot been said, u could get 2 of em for under 7grand, maybe even under 6grand. its a no brainer to me. best investment i made was getting one of these skimmers. But, JMHO. the words from others here speaks for itself, so no need to say anymore

Hi guys,

As you might know my system will be about 1400l total & i'm in need of skimming equipment...

What option would you choose & why?

(1) 2 x Reef Octopus DNW-200
(2) 1 x the largest Becket style skimmer I can get hold of
(3) other?

I basically want the absolute best value for $$$ + performance on a budget of about R7K

Many thanks for the help!

Cheers,
ant
Hi freind i have had the dnw 200 and 300 the 2oo is a evey good skimmer but the 300 that has 3x2000lts pumps on the body, i dont bellive that you can over skimm it is allways important to go for the biggest skimmer you can afford. with my dnw 300 i only pushed 800lts of water,it is not the amount of water you push but the contact time between you skimmer the longer the better (fine bubbles ) another thing is external less heat unless you going for a bubble no real heat, but only inside sump so if i am you dnw 300 or bubble the foot print of the dnw is 45cm i think and height is 75cm excellent excellent excellent skimmer the only 3 reasons i got rid of mine was due to space that was needed for my chiller and calcuim reactor and a bit noisy.

thanks for the info, i haven't bought them yet as i'm busy doing other stuff on my tanks 1'st to get them ready, but i'm leaning towards 2 x DNW200's...
cheers :)

Hi Anthony, i personally always run 2 skimmers on my system, placed in different sections of the system, great peace of mind. Reef octo are gr8 value for money. An alternative in that price range is the ATI BM 250 but that is an in sump skimmer.

Alan, what does the ATI BM 250 go for?

Hi AWvince - Alan can correct me, but you are most likely looking in the range of +-R3500 to R4500?
I know that the ReefTek / ReefOcto TS-4's and RS-3/4's are also in that price-range, I think....

Back
Top Bottom