Skimmer waterlevel?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Kanga, 9 Nov 2007.

1. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Right I am planning to add to my sump, basicly a sqaure tank with outlets to the side into my existing skimmer compartment (which I want to fill with cheato)

MY question is this, how deep should the skimmer body be in the water for optimum performance. At the moment my TS3 is deeper than what I would imagine is normal.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude.with this ts1 i got.i found that when i had it deep in,the bubbles just pured out the skimmer cup even though the water height adjustment pipe was all the way down.
    this will give you an idea of how i got to perform best
    [​IMG]

4. Kanga

Kanga Thread Starter Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

yeah thats what I am thinking Mekaeel.

Any change in how your skimmate looks?

5. Mekaeel

at the moment theres no livestock other than LR in this cube of mines,but in 1 day i ended up with a full cup of light brown skimmate

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Guys not knowing this range is frustrating me, can see i am going to have to buy one. I would say the best is to have your outlet just above the water line as the pump then does not have to work as hard to lift the head of water in the skimmer itself.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, I've sat many hours looking at my skimmer wondering the same thing, thinking should I raise it.

Does the amount of water above the actual pump make any difference to the bubble production?

8. Kanga

Kanga Thread Starter Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Viper, i would iamgine it would make a difference, i think the lower (within reason) the level is it has more space for bubbles/foam

Alan, here is a pic to explain how this outlet works, normally its much higher than the water level. The grey tube adjusts to adjust the skimmer level.
    [​IMG]

I guess my question is will the skimmer perform better if the external water level is at A or B?

9. Mekaeel

Alan.i tried measuring to see the different performance at different levels,if i place mines slightly lower than what it is at the moment it just pours bubbles into the cup

10. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would say level B.

11. millepora

millepora

Sheess Alan I’m going to have to donate a ReefTek to you:lol: :lol:

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I am tagging along on this one! As seeing that I too have the exact same questions... At this moment, I have the water level about 2cm above my water INTAKE pipe - where the pipe comes from the pump, where the 90 degree bend is where it goes into the skimmer body... So - plus-minus a total of 20cm from the bottom of the skimmer to the top of the water level.....
    So - currently getting reasonably dark GREEN (light brown) skimmate - not coffee black as I would imagine I should be getting. Skimmate is stinking though.... BUT, at this stage my Prizm Pro is performing JUST about the same.....

In total I am happy - my tank's water is much clearer now - just not as amazed (yet?) by the TS2 as I though I would / should have been?

13. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

All I can really add here is that when I dropped the water level in my sump, my TS1 was easier to control ito skimming wet or dry. With the water level high, I really only had one option and that was to run it with the adjustable outlet pipe all the way down. Else I would get water in the cup.

I would have thought that the reason for this was that with the pump under more water, the increased water pressure assisted the pump, hence more water and less air is sucked in. With the pump having to suck harder with the lowered water level, more ait is sucked in hence better skimmer performance etc. But then again, I'm known for my whacky theories :p

Recent Posts