Skimmer water removal

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by dallasg, 24 Mar 2009.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,

since my previous tanks didnt run skimmers i would like to get more info on the following.
    i have an external skimmer for my nano i want to add and i currently replace evaporated water with my ATU using RO water, the skimmate removed how much is saltwater? and do i need to top up with saltwater or just carry on as usual.

many thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Don't top up with salt water. You will find the skimmer will remove water but not enough to effect the salinity straight away.

You may find after 3/4 months you may need to increase the salinity of your WC by 0.001 to slowly increase tank's salinity.

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

cool, thanks Warr...
    skimmer virgin here, and since my nano only has about 100L didnt want to cause chaos

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yeah, but is still relative, if you put my skimmer on your Nano you may have a problem ;)

6. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

You should be able to add as much salt water as the skimmer removes, if you really worried about keeping your salinity constant. But like warr said it shouldn't effect the sal in the short term.

7. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

cool, i will monitor it and see, just wanted to see the amount of fresh vs SQ removed in the skimmate

Recent Posts