Skimmer vs algea scrubber

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Whats the pro's and con's of algea scrubbers and skimmers?

I want to add a scrubber to my new setup instead of the skimmer...

Any comments on this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

why do you go one against the other? do you not see that both have advantages to a system and can work well in conjunction opposed to opposite poles?

i am very pro a skimmer, it makes sence to me to try remove as much protein as possible BEFORE it starts to break down and thus i doubt i will ever run a system without the backup and saftey a good skimmer gives.

but i really like the biological aspect a well set up scrubber gives and the effect it can have on a system.

so simply ive got a skimmer and a big one in first trench line and a ats as a back up.

actually all the talk about throwing skimmers away and ATS being the miracle cures too all evils of systems realy put me off them. I dont think the argument is one againsnt the other at all, but a case of combining the two technologies

4. crispin

crispin

oh and on a new set up, before its stabilised and the biologivcal filtration has matured, id never run without a skimmer. I may work at building the biological systems (more than just a ATS) and letting them mature while i run a skimmer and then a year or two down the line I might throttle the skimmer back or turn it off if i really wanted to. But a new system with just a ATS running with some LR that has a mass of die off on it? Nagg id not run that skimerless. JMHO

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

ditto !!!!

6. Dane

Dane

Hey Dikgaan. Depends on a lot of things IMO...
    Tank size? Bioload?

I have a 70L nano which I do decent weekly waterchanges on. I've never run a skimmer and aim to have a healthy comprehensive natural filtration system. (I have a lag at all the guys who say a protein skimmer is natural just because you have foam forming along the coastline.) I've just set up a fuge to run behind the tank, and the next step is to put a scrubber above it. Hopefully this will remove the tiny amount of cyano that I have at the moment (really - a tiny amount) and wipe out the last vestiges of hair algae that I inherited from some swapped frags. I certainly beleive that a scrubber can perform the same role as a skimmer.

BUT, thats just becaues the biological concept really appeals to me. I have no experience. Give me a shout in a months time when my ATS has kicked in and I'll have something valid to base my opinions one then ;-)

I agree with the prior posts that complementing a skimmer with an ATS is probably the best way to go. But I'm simply not able to pay that sorta cash for filtration, and having a silent system is a top priority as I'm around it all the time.

I say give it a shot. You can always add a skimmer later if you're not happy

7. lIghty

lIghty

oh no...... not this topic again.....where are all the referee's?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, let me add another component to this argument. And on any new system still running in, and it got exactly the same value as an algae scrubber. And that is a deep sand bed. You cannot just throw sand in the sump or add a scrubber and hope the all your problems are solved within the first month. It just do not work that way.

Your DSB must mature, get some nice bacteria colonies going. Not just some copepods running around. The stuff that actually do the phosphate breakdown. Worst of all, you cannot see them. Exactly the same with a scrubber. In my opinion, it is just as useless in the first 2 months as your DSB. You need proper algae growth on there. First you will get slimy brown algae, later some jelly like green to yellow slime. Before later on you get real turf like stuff. Only then will the scrubber be able to do its thing.

Skimmer is the best method that you can use to get rid of excess protein, like when all of us overfeed. Well maybe not you, but just ask your wife to do it while you are out the country for 2 weeks. Been there, and between my wife and son, they did overfeed. Skimmer had double the amount of skimate it normally have. And my scrubber got a nice thick growth. And my cayno is back (well this time not as bad as after my previous trip). I do not even want to imagine what my tank would have looked like if the scrubber was supposed to remove what the skimmer did.

9. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Ok guys let me say this, the reason for me asking is because after this second setup is running the third needs to start...I want to make the second one all natural with no skimmer...There will be a dsb, ats and refigium. Currently the skimmer is running on the tank while cycling, but would like to move the skimmer to the third setup. The third setup will only be started in October...Also with DSB, ATS, Refigium and then the skimmer.

Thats why i'm asking if there is a real pro's and con's to the two concepts.

No need for arguments;)

Recent Posts