Skimmer Upgrade for Boyu (thinking out of the box)!!!!

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Mad_Max, 20 May 2010.

1. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Hi fellow Boyu owners,

We all know the skimmers for the TL450 and TL550 (WG308) are pretty useless, right! I recently bought Manic's TL550 and decided I need to do something about the skimmer before I set it up.

I have a TL450 running, and about a year ago upgraded the standard skimmer to the WG310. It seems to work better, but now I doubt it. The reason being is the WG310 chamber is shorter and has a smaller radius, thus less volume. So the contact time of the bubbles in the chamber will be less than the standard TL450 skimmer.

PLUS the standard TL450 has a impeller in the chamber to slow down the water/bubbles. The WG310 and WG308 has no obstruction to slow down the bubbles. It has a valve, but this only helps with fine tuning water level in the chamber.

I read up how to build a DIY skimmer and did the following. Unfortunately this will only help TL550 owners, as the height restriction of the TL450 is the problem.

The main aim is to give the bubbles more contact time with the water. There are 3 ways to obtain this:
    1. Slow down the bubbles in the chamber,
    2. Increase the length of the chamber,
    3. Increase the diameter of the chamber

I opted for 1 and 2.

I used the standard pump and chamber from the TL450. It seems to produce better micro bubbles as it is a needle wheel impeller with a venturi air intake. It also is able to draw air in at a lower depth than the WG308/310 pump. The lattre is also a normal impeller, plus it can not draw in air past a certain depth.

I extended the chamber using a plastic glass tumbler and connecting it to the top chamber of the WG308 chamber (chamber height from 14cm to 34cm). I added a outlet to enable me to adjust the water level in the chamber. I will post some pics/video clip soon to be judged.

All I can say is this is more like it. It produces scum like never befor. I tested it in a bucket with tap water and scum starts overflowing withing 40 seconds.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fires

Fires

Gr8 Stuff Mad Max,my 2nd tank in my office is a TL550,skimmer are crap !!!
    Please post some pics,i need to change mine 2.

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

Have you though about adding a sump, if you have the space. There is a thread somewhere around here about drilling the back of the tank.

5. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Space is a issue. I am setting it up where my TL450 stands.

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

Alright cool. I'd also be scared to drill the tank. It is also possible to make a skimmer out of the entire chamber, I read it somewhere. If I can remember, you just have a pump like a normal skimmer and you use one of the four rear chambers in the back of the tank as your skimmer reaction chamber.

7. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

MMM, jip, drilling might be an problem as i read the thread of the person who drilled this buyo, and cracked it. It is a big gamble.

Mad Max, just wanna say, you bought a nice system from Manic.

I also have a TL550.

why didnt you got larger than the TL550 because you already have a TL450 ... just curious.

8. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

I agree, drilling is to risky.
    Main reason is space constraint and wife constraint.

9. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Ohhhh, ok ... well, i am in the same shoes as you.

I have a TL550, and am busy looking at second hand systems which is worth while maybe getting.

rule nr 1, a tank can be replace, not a girlfriend or a wife.
    rule nr 2, work in your budget. (it is almost like buying a house, dont go overboard). It is alot of money.

I am thinking of getting at least a 250L one now ... the TL550 is 130L, double the size would be good. I dont know if you know Robyn from randburg, you must see his system. It is almost his lounge full. One great setup, but that is way too big !

:)

Recent Posts