Skimmer upgrade, any gain?

Reaction score
My tank a RS 350 is now up and running for about 6 months. I have a mixed reef with medium to heavy fish load. I have a Bubble Magnus Z5. However, I feel the need to upgrade it. Not that it’s not working, but can I do better? I want to stock the tank quite heavy and approach it as a heavy-in heavy-out type system. I don’t have high levels of Nitrate and phosphate being stable at 2ppm and 0.03ppm (hitting 0 on and off) respectively. On my shortlist: Reef Octo eSsence 130 or Classic 110S, Tunze DOC 9410 or Red Sea 600. Anybody have any experience with these options or do I not stand to gain much buy changing my current skimmer? The cup on the Z5 is a bit small and it tend to skim wet. Any other skimmers I might have overlooked?

Reaction score
Have a reef octopus classic 110

Also have tge z5 skimmer on another aetup and i think by changing you will definitely gain more oxygen as thebport on the z5 is quite small and also you will have more waste space, therefore maintenance will be prolonged
0799949957 whatsapp me if you are interested in the reef octopus skimmer

Reaction score
I have the e100. Thought I had upgraded from bubble Magnus 3.5, but no as performance is about the same.

Don’t often read any good reviews about RS skimmers but I have not had one.

If you can get stock of the Tunze that would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the feedback helps a lot! My point as well don’t want to “upgrade” but get no noticeable improvement for the money spent.

ghost_Nic

Reefer 350
Reaction score
I am running the Red Sea 300 in a low stocked Reefer 350 and I cant complain about its performance.
Then again I have no experience with other skimmers to compare.
The only criticism I can think of is its sensitivity to water level, but that would be the same for all non-recirculating skimmers I guess.
Have a look at

Perhaps your money is better spent on plumbing-in a filter roller (if not already) and 1 or 2 reactors.
That way you have flexibility to respond to the exact needs of your high-in high-out system.

Reaction score
Thanks Nic Ill have a look at the video. No filter roller yet was hoping for a plug and play version! I am not really have the time or motivation to break up my sump to get the current options fitted. My nitrates and phosphate came down once I started stocking up on corals. Maybe I need to let my system run a bit longer and maybe I don’t need a bigger / better skimmer. However, the skimmer I have now is under rated for my tank size.

Top Bottom