Skimmer tuning

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by superfrog, 1 Jul 2013.

1. superfrog

superfrog

Hi

This is my first real experience with a protein skimmer and I'm struggling to understand what I should be seeing/experiencing when tuning the skimmer in. The skimmer is a skimz hs1 and it was installed about 2 weeks ago. I believe it has already broken in since the millions of micro bubbles stopped a few days ago and I did get a little bit of yellowish/ off-white liquid skimmate this week.

Below is a pic of what the skimmer neck (in cup) looks like. Can someone tell me from your guys experience if this looks right. The bubbles maintain a steady height as in the pic

IMG_20130701_025426.jpg

Ps. I know my bioload is virtually non existent (newish tank) so i wont get much skimmate but just want to make sure I have set it up right or otherwise learn what I am doing wrong.

2. Guest

3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

That looks about right. It will take a few days to run ing and fine tune it, keep it there as see what happens in a few days time. Only once it starts producing skimmate will you know which way to adjust it

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

no bioload and there would be nothing to skim out.

But the setup looks right.

5. OP
    superfrog

superfrog

Thanks for the replies. It looks a little different after just a few hours.

After 3hrs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just needed to know if ive done it right for now. I guess the skimmate will change and darken as bioload increases. Thanks again guys!

Last edited: 1 Jul 2013
  6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

that might be a little to wet, dial the skimmer back slowly, skimmate should be a drak colour. but no boiload means now skimmate should be produced

7. OP
    superfrog

superfrog

Im confused, no bioload = no skimmate. Does this mean the foam head shouldnt be rising? Or is it rising bcos I actually do have some 'dirty' water and its skimming wet? I wish I could figure out what the column should look like when its inbetween wet and dry :what:

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

the foam should be rising but in this case you are removing clean water along with a tiny amount of dirty, see the water it has removed its far to clear. this is refered to as skimming wet. you want the liquid to be a dark brown/green colour

9. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

When I had my first tanks I used to watch and tune. Watch and tune. Wait for the green stuff.

Tuning it higher just to see some overflow, only to find later that the cup is overflowing :-(

But with experience don't rush it will happen then you start smiling and start liking the look of green gunk and start to get concerned about yourself.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2013
  10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

This is what you want to aim for uploadfromtaptalk1372698232989.jpg avepyze7.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1372698232989.jpg

11. OP
    superfrog

superfrog

Ok cool that helps. Thanks @butcherman. Actually, it did throw out a bit of clear liquid first but in the last pic it isnt 'spilling'. The foam cap just kind of bounces up and down at the end of the neck. (Wish I could post a vid)
    @Andre@ReefAquatics I know the feeling. Gonna just chill out and be patient.

Seems like im on the right track. Just gotta tune in down if it chucks out clear water. Thanks again guys! :D

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

sounds like you're getting the idea

Recent Posts