Skimmer Troubles

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Cslling, 2 Nov 2011.

1. Cslling

Cslling

Hi Reefers

Having some troubles with my skimmer, bought it second hand from someone. Was told where the water level should be set for best performance. Using it with a BOYU, model FP-38E pump and SONIC 9905 air pump.

For some reason my bubbles never get moved all the way to the top so that it can run over into the cup. I have moved the water level but then I keep ketting water in the cup. I have been running the skimmer for 24 hours now, and bubbles are still as white as can be. Tank has been running for about 2 weeks. all my levels of PH, NO2, NO3, KH, Ammonia are right, got 4 fish in tank for about a week also. (was advise by the LFS to add a few fish to help tank cycle).

Starting to worry about the fish now cause of the skimmer not doing its job. What can be the cause? the amount of air giong into the skimmer or might it be the pump on the skimmer, or both combined? or cause of the tank being so new(tank size 1000Lx450Wx550H) or is the skimmer F#$&'ed.

Regards:blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA..you have fish in a 2week Tank..:eek:..have you added any additives to you'r Tank..like Special Blend..Prodibio..Stability...(Bacteria) or are you "cycling" it the old fashion way..? Seriously..you need to add some form of Bacteria to you'r Tank..you'r Tank is still going to "cycle" and the Ammonia and Nitrates will kill you'r fish...is there no way the fishes can go to another Tank, till you'r Tank "Cycles"...

Not to clued up on the Skimmer but maybe it's because you have nothing to currently "skim out"...I do stand corrected..

Last edited: 2 Nov 2011
    juan R likes this.
  4. Cslling

Cslling Thread Starter

Thanks alot.

Yes i had the tank on Stability and something else keep forgetting the name got it from Electrician24. Come's in a glass capsule.

the name is Prodibio.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Are you still adding additives..? Hopefully the guys who are clued up on Skimmers can help you regarding you'rs..in the beginning mine was a case of "nothing to skim out"...

juan R likes this.
  6. roderigo

roderigo

hay bud about your skimmer .it takes time for it to settel in and ones it does it does not skime hole tym just when it needs to so you dont what your bubbel flowing into the skimmer cup 24/7 and the littel skimat that it prodeses should be light tea to dark green at times and keep the bubbels low in the neck you dont want big bubels in that area only smalll then leav it for one week like i said it takes time

juan R likes this.
  7. Ranik

Ranik

sorry to go off topic here, but advised to add 4 fish in a tank running for a week :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: ??? I say no more ?

Should be named and shamed, but we know this is a sensitive topic.

juan R likes this.
  8. Cslling

Cslling Thread Starter

All my livestock looks happy and eating well, and tanck is stable so I'm happy;)

9. Cslling

Cslling Thread Starter

Thanks for the info :)

10. juan R

juan R

Ja i agree, the skimmer will take time to run in and you will have to keep playing with it untill you get it to run at its optimum. The water level might change from setup to setup. My skimmer's level is slightly lower than what the manufacturer suggests and it is running and skimming at its best. Just keep playing with it, but give it some time first to settle in. On the fish that have been added, i think that is a bit soon imho, have you had your initial amonia spike yet? if not i am afraid that your fish might be exposed to some toxic levels and this could lead to stress and then maybe whitespot or even worse, death. Don't mean to freak you out but i think you should take your fish out and put them in another system if possible or take them back to the LFS untill your tank has cycled properly. That is just my opinion, but good luck in any way.

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

First off, which skimmer is it? A second hand skimmir wont need time to run in, if it is collecting clear water in the cup then the water level in the skimmer is set too high.
    As for fish in the system so early, if you have been adding bacteria and enough of it, then there wont be a problem and you actually need the fish to keep the bacteria alive.

Braco likes this.
  12. Braco

Braco

I agree with Alan...and yes i started my tank about 1 yr ago added vodka from day one..and added live stock(fish , corals & inverts) first week...since haven't had any fatalities...and skimmer at first skimate was light brown water collected in overflow...nowadays it's dark green water..but give your skimmer a chance and don't be too hasty but also in the same breath keep on monitoring...;)

Recent Posts