Skimmer too big for tank?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by KevinR, 27 Jan 2011.

1. KevinR

KevinR

Hi all

I am not sure if it has been discussed before but is it possible to have a skimmer that is too powerfull for your tank?

I have read many sites and they seem to say a new skimmer needs to be run in for up to 4 weeks. I was lucky enough to get a SRO 3000 int SSS for christmas because I am going to be upgrading my tank as soon as I move in about 3 months.

Now this skimmer is rated for 1200l and my current tank is prob less than 300l at the moment. I am not seeing the kind of skimmate that I would expect to see seeing as this skimmer is rated 4 times my volume? The new tank should be in the region of 800l so it should be better on that tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

All boils down to what you want to keep again really... If you want more softcoral it might starve them, so you might have to feed more...

If however you go for a SPS tank, then the bigger the better...

Also, just cause you do not see the skimmate you hoped for, does not mean it is not working... Skimmate is linked to the amount of bio product (in short) in your tank... If you only have a nemo and a mushroom, then you can have a skimmer the size of Soccer City and it will still deliver just a puff of skimmate...

THe more you will stock, the more skimmate you will see... ;)

4. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have alot of mushrooms some zoas and some xenia. I also have about 8 piecies of sps. They are not huge yet but growing.

In terms of fish I have about 8.

But the stock is besides the point for me because I usderstand the relationship between bio product and the amount of skimmate etc etc. But I used to have a Deltec AP 600 I think is the modle and it is rated to 700l if I am not mistaken. That skimmer pulled out much more and much darker skimmate then the new one.

The Reef octopus with the bubble blaster pump that I now have is a much more powerful skimmer but yet seems to be taking out much less skimmate. I am not sure if it is just down to settings or that is is not run in properly but I am just a bit concerned at the little waste it has been removing.

Also my phosphates are on the rise now because I have been feeding more because I thought my new powerfull skimmer would take all the waste out but it seems I need to cut back again untill I have sorted it out.

5. johanpm

johanpm

Kevin, check my 2m tank thread in my signature...

It only started producing skimmate after 2 days.

6. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

johanpm, I did see it and yes that even more overkill than I have but if I remember correctly that dnw is just there for testing?

My skimmer has been on my 300l tank for almost 4 weeks now.

Maybe it is just still running in?

7. johanpm

johanpm

It is only for testing,but I will be running it on the tank for a week.

I was also surprised when there was no skimmate to start of with, but it took a few days. So I'd say give it some time. I do however not have enough experience to comment on the long term effects of over-skimming.

8. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I fortunatly have the other tank that I am going to be using and will use my current tank as a sump so I will push it up to about 800l which shoud be in a good range for the skimmer. But I can only do that when my house is finished being built in 3 months.

9. gaboon

gaboon

Could it not be the new skimmers collection cup is bigger and therefore doesn't look as full:p

That AP600 is a great skimmer, I've just replaced mine with one rated for 2000L and although there is a difference, its not much.

10. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Well yes it is true that the new skimmer cup is almost double the size of the AP600 but I did take that into account. Maybe I should double check it but it still seems alot less.

11. gaboon

gaboon

Pour it into the AP600's cup to get a comparison.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
  12. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Yes that is a good idea thanks.

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

I heard about an over sized skimmer not working as good as one say rated at double the system volume... Cant remember the reasons and stuff though

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The amount of skimmate, and the neck of the skimmer should match somewhat. No point in having 50ml skimmate but the neck is so big, that it hardly have enough foam to fill the neck. So yes, your skimmer can be too big.

Recent Posts