Skimmer theory ?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Neil H, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

some generic questions for the Skimmer / skimmer DIY guru's

if one were to build a skimmer using the HX series (the new low wattage ones) of pumps would you feed the skimmer with a 3000Lph pump and use a 5000Lph pump to recirculate? or the other way around and how would this effect the skimmers performance / rating?

Why is it that larger skimmers tend to be short and fat as opposed to tall and thin? surely the more contact time a bubble has in a reaction chamber the better ? my gut says tall and thin is better but then why are the commercial skimmers short and fat ? is this a space saving thing only??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Bigger pump means bigger chamber to get the same contact time inside the skimmer. That would be my guess. And to host the more bubbles as well.

4. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Completely agree BUT ..... what i am getting at is there is a turning point where skimmers go from tall and thin to short and fat .... the TS2 for example is tall and thin when compared to the TS4 .... which while obviously bigger in volume has a very different height to diameter ratio.... i am trying to figure out whether this is purely for space saving or if there is another reason ?

Also, if you have a 3000Lph feed pump and a 5000Lph recirc pump, would this have the same reaction chamber needs if the pumps were swapper around????

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I dont think the difference will be that big if you swop the pumps around. Because if you have the 3000 as a feeder then you will have less air but more contact time. With the 5000 as feeder you will have more bubbles but less contact time. If I had to take a guess I would say the 5000 as feeder would be better (but not by much) since there is more bubbles for the proteins to attach to. Also 8000LPG of internal circulation stays the same on both accounts but with more air it should be better than the 3000 as feeder.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Neil - have a read through these URLs:
    (This should give you a VERY good technical resources, w.r.t skimmer design)

Here is a few URLs show-casing "Beckett" air-valves:
    http://www.cheapfrags.com/skimmers/zerodoc300/

http://www.barraquatic.com/super_skimmers.php

(This is a VERY INTERESTING one
    http://www.reefworkshop.com/DIY_proteinskimmer1.htm

And these are really interesting on the beckett injector valves:
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/skimmers/thoughts/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/fm/index.php

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/filtration/beckett.htm

http://www.austinoceans.com/Support-...tructions.html

7. Pads

Pads

Some interesting links JB, just gotta focus and read the things.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

See above in bold lol

The higher the skimmer the greater the contact time the better the skimmer, The wider the chamber the greater the pump that can be used. If you take the bubble blaster skimmer and make it say 1000MM high it will be a FANTASTIC out of this world skimmer but it will just be too big. Look at some of the Older model 1000 series deltecs those used to be a meter high with 1 - 4 pumps on and used to be run on huge tanks.

PS: where are you going to get a pinwheel for the 5000 pump? and how about the venturi?

9. jacquesb

Please read the skimmer dimensions suggestions in the URL links.

10. Neil H

JB i have been reading the links for death this morning, some interesting and different theories out there for sure !!

there is one group who are arguing that contact time is the real key ... the one guy built a beckett skimmer with 100 inches of reaction chamber (although the skimmer is only 50 inches tall)....

then there is another school of thought which says they it is the size of the bubbles that is the key... and throughput is just as important....

All parties seeeeem to agree that turbulant flow in the skimmer is a no no hence the bubble plates .... And all parties seem to agree that the amount of air going through the skimmer is what determines the skimmers rating

these doesnt seem to be a cut and dry scientifically proven reason why one is better than the other .....

the HY S series comes with pin wheel and venturi standard, although the beckett valve should do the trick with the HY W series

11. jacquesb

12. crispin

crispin

maybe the deltec guys could give you a more specific answer, i tried some of those threads but they were making my head foam, i simply closed them down and cleaned my skimmer cup :)

13. Neil H

NJ called me earlier and under DD in the sponsors form there is a very usefull thread, hve a look there as well gents

i like these beckett skimmers !!

14. Neil H

does anyone know where we can buy a beckett valve / nozzle in SA ???

15. Manic

Manic Moderator

I can make you one if you give me the dimensions, maybe.

16. Neil H

maybe need to take you up on that boet .... cant seem to find an off the shelf version

17. Manic

Manic Moderator

If you give me the dimensions I can pretty much make everything, what does this thing look like exactly?

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmmm.... One thing i have pondered on is with all the increased air flow to the skimmer hype, what of the air contaminants entering the water. Are test results and aquariusts perceptions of skimmate collection not just contaminants from a polluted air source driven through the skimmer.? How clean should the air be? How should one filter this air?
    Yup a lot to consider?????

19. lIghty

lIghty

Mmmmm, something I've never thought about! I've only ever concidered a room with a high CO2 could cause a decrease in pH.....

How could one filter the air? UV for bacteria, but I doubt this is a problem?

Would a "water" filter with GAC not work? perhaps flushing water?

20. Neil H

I have seen guys overseas build in special chambers over the air intake and noticed many putting GAC in them..... how well this works i have NO idea !

But very very good point NJ esp in a polluted spot like GP

21. Pads

Pads

I guess a Chemist would help on this one. But if all it takes a little water turbulence to increase oxygen exchange then surely taking the same dirty air and exposing it directly to our water can't be good.

Another thought is to what degree are the contaminants in the air at such high levels that they were to have a substantial impact on the skimmed water? Unless your tank is sitting in a by the exhaust pipe of the generator you're running because of poor service delivery.

Recent Posts