Skimmer stink

Reaction score
Is it normal for my DNW200 to stink ?

I clean unit out every 2nd day. Soon as it produces skimmate I can smell it in the entire room.

And I don't have a great sense of smell: Smoker :sifone::sifone:

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Both my skimmers produce a skimmate that smells so bad, it will bring tears to your eyes.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Warr - the only think with your skimmer, is that it is an external model. So, the only thing you can do is "move it" to another room - if this is possible at all.... (or box it in - if this is possible at all).

My Red Sea Prizm Pro used to produce skimmate that stinked so bad that everytime I cleaned out the skimmate from the cup, my wife thought that I farted....

The impeller of the Red Sea skimmer broke again, so now I only have the TS2 running - luckily the TS2 is now REALLY pulling out a LOT of crap out of the tank - I have "modded" my very slightly - I have added a high-pressure pond air-pump to the air-inlet of the skimmer - now my TS2 skimmer seems to produce far more air-bubbles, thus creating nice and dark and extremely STINKY skimmate....

I think that the more stinkier the skimmate - the better the skimmer works...

So - unfortunately I HAVE to say this - ENJOY your stinking skimmer Warr - it means it is working EXTREMELY WELL! :biggrin:

Reaction score
My Red Sea Prizm Pro used to produce skimmate that stinked so bad that everytime I cleaned out the skimmate from the cup, my wife thought that I farted....
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i can imagine

What if I bagged the Container ?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
That could perhaps work!

Another suggestion perhaps - does your skimmer cup have a "outlet" at the bottom somewhere? If not, you can perhaps modify your skimmer cup, by drilling it, and inserting an outlet, which you can connect to a 25 litre drum for example. Then the skimmate is basically deposited directly (nearly) into the 25 litre drum. The skimmer won't stink as much, and you won't have to clean out the cup that often!

Reaction score
That could perhaps work!

Another suggestion perhaps - does your skimmer cup have a "outlet" at the bottom somewhere? If not, you can perhaps modify your skimmer cup, by drilling it, and inserting an outlet, which you can connect to a 25 litre drum for example. Then the skimmate is basically deposited directly (nearly) into the 25 litre drum. The skimmer won't stink as much, and you won't have to clean out the cup that often!
Nice idea, wondering what that pipe was for :whistling:

52847b8371e60cf7.jpg

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
AAahhhhh - you see - problem solved! Now only to get that 25 litre drum! I would also still suggest a 25 litre drum that you can close the lod of. Imagine a 25 litre OPEN container full of that MUCK letting it's aroma free into your house and living area! YUCK!