Skimmer Servicing

Reaction score
I have the DNW200 external skimmer. Any ideas on servicing the unit and what must be serviced. How often should this be done.

My unit is working beautifully, but rather be proactive than reactive.

Apart from the obvious skimmer cup, cleaned out weekly (at least) i run R/O down the venturi to remove salt deposits weekly, then every 6 months i remove the skimmer, and clean it from top to bottom to remove and build up, strip the pumps down to check for wear and crub build up and remove if necessary and generally have a good look to make sure all is well

Yeah what he said ^ :D

You might get a build up of calcium on the impellors of teh pumps. As Wee Man says, every six months or so strip the pumps and soak the impellors in warm water with vinegar for about an away and then scrub all the muck off.

Just a word of caution.

After doing major service / cleaning work to your skimmer it will perform better. Don't put it back together and rush out somewhere. You will come home to a flooded cup and worse if you have an auto top, it will flood the tank.
You will find that you will need to re adjust your skimmer, so be arounnd for a couple of hours ;)

Yeah what he said ^ :D

You might get a build up of calcium on the impellors of teh pumps. As Wee Man says, every six months or so strip the pumps and soak the impellors in warm water with vinegar for about an away and then scrub all the muck off.

Just a word of caution.

After doing major service / cleaning work to your skimmer it will perform better. Don't put it back together and rush out somewhere. You will come home to a flooded cup and worse if you have an auto top, it will flood the tank.
You will find that you will need to re adjust your skimmer, so be arounnd for a couple of hours ;)

Antony, how long exactly is an "away"

:lol: less haste more speed..

An away is a local unit of measurement for an hour.. :whistling:

my skimmer cup is cleaned every 2 days and the overall maintenance of the skimmer is done every 6 months.which reminds me im over due.well anyway mines is gonna be reloacting soon,so will do the maintenance then

I run R/O through the air inlets once a month or so

I've never heard of flushing venturi's/air inlets before:blushing:

Thanks!!!

Ok, the white pipe and I thought that was an overflow pipe :whistling:
No, that's the airline for your venturi, your pump sucks in air through this to create the bubbles in the skimmer, that is why it is a good idea to clean them occasionally as they can get salt creep and little insects in them blocking them up and reducing the efficiency of your skimmer.

Yip, make sure you clear it with R/O once a month at least

Back
Top Bottom