Skimmer Rating

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Hammerhead, 24 Oct 2011.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi

Please could someone advise as to how skimmers are rated?

Also, its been advised that one should go for a skimmer rated at twice the volume of the tank capacity, should one then get a 1000 lt rating for a 500lt system?

Can one overskim a tank, for example get a skimmer at say 5 times the tanks capacity, will there be any ill effects, i.e removing trace elements and supplements?

I assume skimming is based on bio load so hence a skimmers capacity should be weighed against the bioload you wish to keep, so one could overskim if the bioload is minimal based on the skimmers capacity?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

we generally overstock our systems, its an impulse thing and hence going for an oversized skimmer..

;)

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

skimmers are design to pull out proteins, hence the name, but yes sometimes they can remove the desirables as well.

but as Leslie pointed out we do tend to overstock and fish waste is the killer and cause of most tank issues in my opiniion so take them out before they start.

what size tank you got? looking for a skimmer?

5. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

Still setting up Dallas, just ordered the Reef octo NW 150 rated at 650 lt however when i calculated my dt and sump it totals about 611lt that is not taking into considerstion the LR and DSB and other displacemnt aspects. So before it arives id rather up it to the NW200 which is rated at 900lt?

any recomendations

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

NW 150 might be too small if tank is heavily stocked, there is a skimz for sale here by leslie at a steal which should be more than enough and future upgrades

7. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

bit late paid for already...just changed to the NW 200, thank though.

Will see how this goes, in the not so distant future based on my experience with this build i may setup my 2mt again oneday, then perhaps i could look at other equipment.

thanks for the heads up guys.

Recent Posts