skimmer rating for tank, can you overkill?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by magman, 30 Aug 2010.

1. magman

magman

I want to upgrade my skimmer, but can you have a skimmer that is "too big" for the tank?
    Remember nearly 99% of reefers ovestock their tanks, and I know rule of thumb is a skimmer rated at twice your water volume, but can you go overboard?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I suppose you can and put a large Bubble King on a Nano but what are you thinking about and for what size system? I have 2 skimmers running each rated larger than my system.

4. magman

magman Thread Starter

Alan, howsit, I hope you well, I am looking now for ideas, the otherday at northlands I was looking at the whole reef octo range, my total water now is about 900l, but I want to add one of the 1000l flow bins total about 1600lt's, run my skimmer etc inside there, is it the bigger the better, or not so much?

5. lIghty

lIghty

Bubble Blaster 5000!

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

Justin thanks, what they sell for, what they rated up to, internal or external

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sometime ago there was a nice link posted about skimmers. That guy said to get a skimmer 1.5 x system volume, everything more is a waste.
    Can't remember if he said something regarding stocking levels.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

The old Octo**** Skimmers were GROSSLY over rated i.e:all TS range, All DnW range the ORCA range the newer bubble blasters with the new pump are properly rated case in point i had a Orca 135 External on a 360L tank that skimmer was rated for 900L but it was constantly pulling out gunk from that system(system was understocked). I now have a XP2000 Bubble blaster(rated 600L) and with this skimmer only the neck of the skimmer has some dirt in it. I have not bothered to clean it in 2 weeks.

I would suggest a bubble blaster 5000 for your water volume esp since u love ur fish

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip, saw the same link.
    Basically it comes down to you not having enough bio-load and crap to form a decend bubble collumn. So the crap is not pushed over the rim.
    Only go really too big, if you are planning to upgrade anyway within the next couple of months. Other than that, it is like using a 25T truck to buy bread and milk at the corner cafe. (Nowadays at the filling station. Cafe's are so last century.)

10. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I think it dependson what corrals you keep, some soft corals and goniapoura labata whould like a tank thats not over skimmed, they almost need a tank with enough nutrients in it, but if you are adding nutrients it should be fine.

I also think if you are " overskimming " the weekly dose of additives you put in ,shouldnt be put in once a week , but rather the dose split up into the 7 days and added dayly sothat on day 3 the skimmer hasnt taken out your additives youve put in for the week.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

fagman, lighty is talking about the skimmer I got on my system. Rated for 5000liters, but I fitted it on a 700l heavily stocked SPS dominated tank, and im skimming wet.

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Good to know that I am not the only one having this issue. I thought my skimmer was underpowered and that it could not get the bubbles up to the cup. :)

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

That strory about not enough bio load etc is nonsense, here is `pic i took this morning of my bubble blaster 5000 int on my 600L system, the tank currently has 6 fish...

[​IMG]

14. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would go for a skimmer rated 2x the size of my system to be on the safe side.

magman likes this.
Recent Posts