Skimmer Question

Hi Warr - you could still try cleaning out the skimmer's neck - it should slow down the skimmate production a little bit.... Where exactly do you have the skimmer in your sump? 1st compartment? And wat what level is the external water level - +-how many centimetres above or below the pipe coming from the pump? (inlet pipe)?

Hi Warr - you could still try cleaning out the skimmer's neck - it should slow down the skimmate production a little bit.... Where exactly do you have the skimmer in your sump? 1st compartment? And wat what level is the external water level - +-how many centimetres above or below the pipe coming from the pump? (inlet pipe)?

External skimmer, probably about 20cm difference

OH - ok - really decent skimmer then - I presume ReefOctopus?
So, your down-pipe is connected straight into the skimmer then?

This would also explain the "decent" skimmate production!

OH - ok - really decent skimmer then - I presume ReefOctopus?
So, your down-pipe is connected straight into the skimmer then?

This would also explain the "decent" skimmate production!

Yip, DNW200, down pipe straight to skimmer. thanks, so I shouldn't worry.

tried different cleaning method and skimming wetter.

Here is 24 hours of skimming.

52847b74a733ef8a.jpg

Turn the level in the neck down a bit ,the skimmate is still very watery looking. Try and find the sweet spot that will give you a more dense colour thus making more time to fill the cup. If not you will be topping up even more often ( and remember the skimmate is salt water not just replaced with RO.

I bought a baby bottle brush to clean my skimmer cup and it works a treat.

Turn the level in the neck down a bit ,the skimmate is still very watery looking. Try and find the sweet spot that will give you a more dense colour thus making more time to fill the cup. If not you will be topping up even more often ( and remember the skimmate is salt water not just replaced with RO.

I bought a baby bottle brush to clean my skimmer cup and it works a treat.

Great, thanks for the advice:thumbup:

I find that when I do a water change (NSW) my skimmer (TS2) goes mad and fills up (almost just water) in a few hours, when the cup is emptied it then takes about a week to fill up half, again very wet. Then again I only have 1 fish, a few hermits, a few snails and 4 corals, so very little load.

I find that when I do a water change (NSW) my skimmer (TS2) goes mad and fills up (almost just water) in a few hours, when the cup is emptied it then takes about a week to fill up half, again very wet. Then again I only have 1 fish, a few hermits, a few snails and 4 corals, so very little load.
You may find that with a tank with very little waste Moz. When it's cleaned make sure it is just water and then dry it with a clean towel etc...... shouldn't go mad, the reverse normally. When it's cleaned and dried like this it takes a little while for a coating to build up again to aid in skimming.

looks good nice skimmer

Hi Warr - yes - bubble level is good, but you could perhaps reduce it another 3-4cm - just to get the skimmate a LITTLE bit drier/thicker.... and you would then not have to clean it so often....

Hi Warr - yes - bubble level is good, but you could perhaps reduce it another 3-4cm - just to get the skimmate a LITTLE bit drier/thicker.... and you would then not have to clean it so often....

cool will try out

Ok, I h have reduced the bubble level, but now I have skimmate in the neck and quite a little overflow into the cup

52847bd9080c1b92.jpg

Ok, I h have reduced the bubble level, but now I have skimmate in the neck and quite a little overflow into the cup

52847bd9080c1b92.jpg

eish, thats going to make a stinky tarr like goooo:thumbup:

Warr,with my DNW 200, i got my water level half way up the neck i found it produces some nice dark stinky skimmate

You reckon that's the way to go, I was told to drop the bubble level. I will increase and see what happens:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom