Skimmer Pump Maintenace

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by ziguri, 24 Mar 2017.

Voter count: 257
?

How often do you do skimmer pump cleaning/maintenance?

1. At least once a week

58 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Once a month

62 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Once every few months

96 vote(s)
    37.4%
  4. Once a year

29 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Never

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. ziguri

ziguri

My skimmer pump started acting up the other day. Didnt want to switch back on after i switched off to empty the collection cup. I then disconnected it and gave it a bit of a rinse and its back up and running again.

Was thinking that i should do some routine maintenance on the pump to prevent it from acting up again. What do you guys suggest? Will soaking in vinegar once a month be good enough?

I have a Reef Octopus Skimmer with a PSK600 pump.

2. Guest

3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I check once a month because it's my main sorce of filtration with me performing a full strip down and vinegar bath every 6 months

ziguri likes this.
  4. 459b

459b Moderator

I clean when i notice the chamber isnt as full of bubble as it should be, which is roughly once a month. I take the pump out and give it a good clean with water (no vinegar). The needle wheel impeller gets clogged rather easily and that really effects the skimmer. While the skimmer is off and pump is out, the skimmer body gets a clean and so does the ariline tube.

ziguri likes this.
  5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Some of the cheaper skimmer pumps i would think twice with fidgeting with it too often, and be carefull with rubber parts / seals and vinegar. Monthly is a bit too often, every three should suffice, unless you notice a drop in performance.
    Decent pumps like a psk will handle a bit of a soak, but i think its overkill.
    Clean impellor, check for carbonate build ip and use a bit of vinegar and a toothbrush to remove any deposits, rinse in clean water and reaseembke.

ziguri likes this.
  6. EFJ

EFJ Moderator MASA Contributor

Those PSK600 pumps are notorius for doing that. Its the impellor that needs to be replaced. The down side is this pump is discontinued due to its problems and parts are impossible to get hold of. The only other way is retro fitting a red devil sk3 pump (I think thats what its called, will check on the name) and it will give you better performance anyway.

ziguri likes this.
  7. EFJ

EFJ Moderator MASA Contributor

I also have one of those pumps on my reef octopus 160 extreme skimmer. Does exactly the same thing. After some searching I found out that its a common problem. Not using the skimmer at the moment due to me running a Vertex Alpha200. Thinking of using it again with Orca bio cubes in it.

ziguri likes this.
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I should do it more than what I do.
    Actually I should check all my pumps out. Found 2 smaller pumps standing still last night. Nothing really stuck in them, although the pump body is warm. (Not a good sign). After a good clean under tap water and old toothbrush, they run again. Need to do this to all the pumps this afternoon.

ziguri likes this.
  9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

bump, more votes on the poll please :D

10. CameL

CameL

I'm very glad to see I'm not the only one who voted "never"
    It's one of those things I look at and go "I should clean that" but don't...
    I anyway feel my skimmer is too small for my tank and am looking to upgrade soon.

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Haha, yeah, especially when you have a BM skimmer and the pump sits inside the skimmer, means you gotta take the whole skimmer out of the sump and dismantle it just to get to the pump.:(

12. CameL

CameL

It is a BM skimmer, probably that's the reason then...

Recent Posts