Skimmer pump keeps jamming

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Dee318i, 18 May 2012.

1. Dee318i

Dee318i

Hi guys i have a skimz sm201, its been working fine up until a month ago, when it started jamming, I went to idol marine they said to leave it in a mixture of water and vinegar and then let it run for a while in the vinegar/water solution, ive done that up to three times now and the pump keeps getting stuck after its been in the tank for a couple of days, do i need to replace this pump?!? and if so where do they sell skimz spare parts in johannesburg?!?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Is the impellor still ok?

4. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

yes everything looks fine when i opened it, but for some reason it keeps getting jammed everytime the power goes off and on again, its like there is buildup in between the impeller and the part where it connects to the pump but its building up to quickly

5. 459b

So it only dies it when power gets turned off?

6. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

Yip, when its running its fine and then as soon it stops spinning because of a power outage it wont start spinning until i take in out of the sump open the skimmer up and put it in a solution of vinegar and water, like if i open it and try to turn it with my hand the impeller feels stiff

7. 459b

Sounds like its starting in the wrong direction when the power comes back on.

8. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

That cant be because as soon as i leave in in the vonegar water solution for a few mins it runs and starts fine with out my help and none of the wires have been damaged or anything it was runnung perfectly up until a month ago and the 1st time i opens it was when it stoped spinning for the 1st time

9. shaunn

shaunn

i have the same probleam with my skims 102 normaly i blow down the air line and it starts again

but like i said this will be the fist and last time i buy a skims

10. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

like i dont know what this things issue is the other day i ran it for an hour in the water vinegar solution thinking that it would clean out all the buildup that caused it to stop but it didnt help at all, and these surposedly are the best skimmers you get, at least thats what i heard

11. shaunn

shaunn

they are good skimmers but the after sales service is really bad and the pumps are faulty

12. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Look to replace the impellor. You may well find there is not enough free play on the prop portion of the impellor. You need this as form of low friction/drag start up, otherwise the pump simply wont start.

Had a problem like this on my AM pump. The prop had no free play (caused by build up) and the pump simply would not auto start. Changed the impellor to one of their new designs, no issues ever since.

This problem is typical of bigger pumps.

13. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

Okay kewl ill defnately look into that, but do you think i should replace the impeller or should i just buy a new pump coz i boought this one 2nd hand so im not too sure if the previous owner had the same problem

Recent Posts