Skimmer Placement in sump

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Pugsly, 29 Jul 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hey guys, maybe someone can help me here.

I have 2 seperate sumps connected to each other via a 50mm PVC pipe. (one flows into the next.

The question is - does it really matter where the skimmer is placed? ie first compartment where DT inlet is?

I could not do this due to space and sizing of the sumps - my DT water inlet enters the first sump, goes though a baffle, flows over the DSB, through another set of baffles, exits through the 50mm pipe into the second sump where the skimmer is and the return pump. Is this ok like this? Would it harm the system by me doing it like this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Your skimmer just wont skim out as much stuff as a lot of it will settle on the dsb, thats what I think, could be wrong though. Cant imagine it causing any harm, just wont work as well...

4. Sentari

Sentari

I would think that you wouldnt want stuff settling on your dsb and rather move the skimmer forward to your first chamber. Any thoughts?

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

You need some stuff to feed the dsb, so stuff that does settle on the dsb will be eaten by pods and stuff, thats my understanding... Isn't that why flow over a dsb should be relatively slow.

6. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

the skimmer (TS2) still seems to operate as it always did but I may also be looking at it with a "wishful" eye.

Another question - I want to change my chiller plumming, where can I place the pump for the chiller and the return from the chiller?

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

IMO it would do no "harm" ......

traditionally we like to have mechanical filtration first (skimmer) them Biological (DSb) then chemical (phos remover, carbon etc)

Having the DSB first MAY have the following effect.... the solid waste will come out of suspention due to the slow water movement over the DSB, this will feed the pods etc and cause them to multiply rapidly, if there is a drop in this large particled food supply then in an extreme case there may be a die off.... that would not be good and would prob cause a mini cycle.

The other thing to remember is that we like pods etc as a suppliment to our tanks food source ..... in a traditional system these pods would be randomly sucked up by the pump and deposited into the tank ... with your setup the pods would have to make it through a skimmer before and pump before making it into the tank as food... it is unlikely they will escape the skimmer.....

So no it will not do any harm but it will also not help you all that much .... is there NO option of reversing your flow?

8. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

I could maybe - thinking I may be able to install a type of overflow to the sump so it flows back to "1st" sump, thus entering the sump with the skimmer and then overflowing via overflow to the second sump. Problem though by doing this is the water level in the sump with overflow is going to be very high and thus not much room for water if power / pumps fail!

Recent Posts