Urgent help needed Skimmer overflowed into sump

Reaction score
Hi, after we went out Sunday morning, when i returned home my protein skimmers' air intake got clogged up, so it overflowed into my sump, the skimmer collection cup was approx 1/4 filled with skimmate. Since then i have done a 50 liter water change and added stability daily.

The water is still very milky, and the corals looks a bit irritated.

What else can i do?

My tank size: 600liter
Skimmer: Reef octo 3000sss

dallasg

Reaction score
the milkyness is possibly bacterial bloom, its happened to me and not a major issue.
just skim alot and keep an eye, run carbon and check NH4 and NO2

Reaction score
same, has happened to me a few times. Add stability like you have been , skim, skim , skim and your tank should be back to normal soon. Carbon as @dallasg said will also be a good idea. Remember to make sure that it whatever clogged up your skimmer, will not clog it up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks, since i have bought the skimmer second hand on the forum it never really performed good(never pulling out a huge amount of gunk). I have tryed cleaning it numerous times etc. After this incident if found that there was small pieces of rock stuck by the intake just before the pump. Since i have removed it the skimmer is working like a beast, making a huge amount of skimmate. I always thought the skimmer wasn't any good :eek:

Reaction score
Thanks, since i have bought the skimmer second hand on the forum it never really performed good(never pulling out a huge amount of gunk). I have tryed cleaning it numerous times etc. After this incident if found that there was small pieces of rock stuck by the intake just before the pump. Since i have removed it the skimmer is working like a beast, making a huge amount of skimmate. I always thought the skimmer wasn't any good :eek:
Stunning to hear that you have sorted it out.