Skimmer overflow

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by paul bloem, 27 May 2013.

1. paul bloem

paul bloem

Hey guys

I have a reef octopus in sump skimmer. I can not remember which model of the reefoctopus it is but i do know its rated for 1000L and uses the psk pump.

The skimmer over skim and waste about 30 to 40L of water once or twice a week, it never used to do it and it started about a month ago.
    I can't figure out why and want to know if it happened with someone else as well or does anyone know why is it doing it?

Paul

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Lol, i cant even begin to tell you how many times my skimmers has overflown!!
    I have come up with a plan to prevent that & it works like a bomb...
    I drill an overflow into the side (or bottom if there is space) of the cup just under the "overflow" level & glue a 10mm perspex/plastic pipe into the cup to allow the skimmate to flow back into the sump...

You can also try setting the skimmer to skim less wet & then slowly increase (over a couple weeks) until you find the right level...

4. paul bloem

paul bloem Thread Starter

Thanks @Visser, you gave me an idee what to do thanks because mine came with an hole in the bottum. I gues the overflow doesn't matter to go back into the once or twice a week.
    Now I have to keep my cup clean, haha:lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Some of the causes of skimmer overflowing is the use of filter floss/matting when replacing with new filter floss.
    Another cause is a bacterial bloom when using bio pellets.
    Addition of some type of additive..

I got myself a skimmate collection system which has an auto shutoff feature should the skimmate collector get full.

With insump skimmers its always best to buy a delay switch cos when u have a power failure your sump.level rises and when.electricity comes back the level in your insump skimmer will be too high causing an overflow. the delay time switches on the skimmer 5 mins after the power has returned allowing simp water level to stabalise before skimmer is switched on.

Another important thing is the addition of a float valve in your sump which will switch off skimmet if your sump water level rises in cases of a malfunctioning auto top off unit or broken return pump.

Recent Posts