Skimmer Outlets

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by shane, 23 Apr 2009.

1. shane

shane

Hi all,
    I am currently building my second diy skimmer, this one I managed to find some clear perspex tubing to use. The main skimmer body is 160mm in diameter and 480mm tall. Now my question to all is how far from the bottom should I place the outlet valve? I will be using a 40mm ball valve to regulate to outlet flow. Is this personal prefference or is there a required height?
    Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hey buddie, with my DIY i found that the ball valve isnt accurate enough, in my case if i close it too much the whole thing floods, if i open fractionally it the level goes down the chamber too much. SO if you can avoid using it. will it be an internal skimmer? if so then i suggest you use the reef octopus method of having your output pipe, with a pipe that is fractionally bigger around it and move that up and down to vary the height in the skimmer. that way is much more accurate.

4. shane

shane Thread Starter

This sounds interesting,so there is one outlet pipe with the larger diameter pipe sliding over the first pipe.I would assume that the larger pipe has the elbow on to drain water into tank or sump. Yes I was planning on having the skimmer stand in my sump anyway.Is there anyone that could explain more about this drain outlet or maybe provide a diagram.
    Cheers

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

Just have a look at a TS1,2,3,4 etc. I think maybe you should go 40 or 50 mm piping. what pumps will you be running and how? The outlet pipe is just a 90 degree bend from your chamber that goes straight up. so the water will kind of run down the outside of the outlet pipe. i think you should maybe go for a 50mm pipe. that way the water comes out at less of a velocity, but it all depends on the pumps etc. so post your specs again here, what pumps, head height etc and i will try and help you

6. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hey scuba,
    I have two options at the moment, I have a beckett foaming head that can be used for this skimmer or i was thinking about a reef octopus 3000 pin wheel pump and venturi. If I use the beckett foaming head then I will get a reef octopus 5000 pump or something close to that.Main body of skimmer is 160mm in diameter and 480mm tall, riser neck is 200mm into collection cup. Total height of skimmer is about 800mm tall.The outlet pipe on the skimmer is 40mm.
    cheers

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

not sure what the beckett foamin head is? that a pump? i have in total 4800lph on the diy and with the head height they struggle a bit. the actual head its pumping is about 650 or so. cause of the water level in the tank. so you saying the chamber is 480 makes me think that 5000 might be overkill. will the pumps be powering the skimmer fully or recirc? if you can make a plan for it maybe the bigger of the pumps if they other is capable as a recirc pump. that would make it much more efficient. can you bring any of this stuff to the meeting tonight?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts