Skimmer or no skimmer

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by shiks, 13 May 2008.

1. shiks

shiks

hey guys...been researching and reading all i can since i recieved all the great advice from the MASA massive and have stopped again with 1 question
    Do I use a skimmer or not ???? have bought a Juwel setup from lfs

92x 41 x55, 180l with 2 x 35w T5s

I posed this question to lsf and he very confidently said not needed, reason because Juwel systems filter copes well with the FOWLR and 1 or 2 anemone that i want ....

i have no reason to doubt this advice except for nearly every MASA post i have read abt a basic tanks setup....I picked up as well that i do not have a sump((I can live with that and tank size cos it fits perfectly in the space i have))..SO on my OWN logic...was thinking

Should i use a protein skimmer anyway(side mount) with a pump?? Will it harm the system(FWLR) in anyway ? and lastly any thoughts abt the Weipro side mount skimmers?? anybody using them ???

This aint a serious prob...as tank arriving from jhb this week and am getting it on MON:thumbup: ...but have bought the reflectors,bulbs,aragonite,syth salt mix ..only short of Live rock and RO water....so i figured while i was prep shopping should i look at a Skimmer?.... Any thoughts ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rax123

Rax123

I have the juwel vision 260, LFS told me i don`t need a sump or skimmer and the built in filter will do the job. Speaking to others (incl. LFS) ,they suggested otherwise. My tank is 14 wks old, I now run a prizm skimmer,canister filter,20kg live rock and two p/heads. Thus far i have everythings fine.

4. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

hey rax123 ...where do i look for prizm skimmer ??

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Shiks - you could also go for a WeiPro skimmer if you want - e.g. SA-2014 model with a 2800 litre per hour pump (skimmer sits inside the Jewel aquarium).....

Otherwise, ask you LFS or perhaps Sean at Northlands Pets how much a hang-on skimmer would cost that would be able to handle your tank size....

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude,on a old Jebo tank,i modified the canopy to fit a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe skimmer,and was pretty impressed with its performance.also found it be a very straight forward skimmer

7. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

ok so i gather skimmer would be a good idea....weipro or prizm ?.....i see that the weipro 2013 is abt R700...for up to a 480l tank size...thats sounds ok to me ...or is that still too cheap.....????

Last edited: 13 May 2008
  8. Mekaeel

sorry no experience Weirpo.

9. Reaper

Reaper

Basically - at the end of the day, add a skimmer - it's always better in the long run. Less toxins in the water...

10. sunburst

sunburst

Red sea prism hands down, no questions. Small...compact... unobtrusive and a gem of a skimmer.... I am currently running three. You can also buy a fitting from Red Sea which allows you to surface skim. If you would like to test drive one you are welcome to take one of mine. Not for sale though

Would advise strongly against a skimmerless:baffled: nano

11. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

what about the reef octopus bh-100 hang on skimmer....

12. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

ok red sea looks great....looks like it has a whole multitude of uses thanks guys
    now where can i source one at a reasonable figure

13. Mekaeel

Check up with Northlands Pets

14. jacquesb

Hi Shiks - I too would say ask Sean at Northlands Pets..... Even if he does not have one - he can surely get you one.

BUT - the Red Sea Prizm Pro is quite a BIT more expensive than the WeiPro. The WeiPro skimmer does not perform CLOSE to the level of the Red Sea Prizm Pro....

I have both and the Red Sea Prizm Pro outperformed even my one ReefTek TS2 skimmer (with the ReSun pump).....
    You are looking at +-R1200-R1400 for the Red Sea Prizm Pro....

How about a ReefTek TS1 - I there's a LOT of guys out there that is using ReefTek TS1's on their +-250-300 litre tanks......

Cost: +-R900-R1000

15. Sparky

Sparky

I know everyone here is saying a skimmer is a have to have, but I must disagree. I think it comes down to how stocked you're planning to have your tank. I have 3 fish, a hermit and a shrimp in a 100L tank, alone with a few snails and corals. I will admit that you need to be strict about your water changes though, otherwise things get out of hand quickly. I do a 10% change twice a week and it keeps all the water params in check.

Please bear in mind that I have only been running this tank in this setup for just over 5 months now, so I'm definitely still learning.

16. Rax123

Rax123

I recommend u shop around(yellow pages),because i noticed the prices ranged from R1100 to R2100 for the prizm pro deluxe. I paid R550 (used 3mnths old,from the ECR website)
    I also recalling phoneing a small PS somewhere in Kloof area(Joe) he could order them, and better the price.

17. jacquesb

You 100% correct Sparky - a skimmer is not a MUST - but without a skimmer you HAVE to have a VERY strict maintenance cycle. ALSO - your tank is not "forgiving" as it would be IF you had a decent (or even semi-decent) skimmer.

Recent Posts