Skimmer mods

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
yo gurus would it be posible to connect the skimmer directly to the overflow so that all the water frpm the overflow goes directly
into the skimmer and then into the sump?

Very possible, depending on the skimmer, although personally i do not like this method as very often the skimmer does not maintain a constant level and if you want to clean the skimmer it becomes a mission the take it apart again.

No probs, by nature i am lazy and dont enjoy making work for myself. I find the skimmers perform better if fed by a dedicated pump.

Thalion - one can use ball/gate valves to control the water flow from the down-pipe into the skimmer, as well as the ball-valve on the external skimmer to control the water level inside the skimmer. This should stop the water level problems.

I also prefer having a skimmer fed by a pump rather than from my overflow.Find that i have more control of the water level this way.

The skimmer water supply could have an impact on the skimmer's internal water levels. If you add a valve (ball/gate-valve) to the piping BEFORE the skimmer (to the piping coming from the tank itself), you can control the water going INTO the skimmer. With the (external) skimmer's own ball-valve you can control the water level inside the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom