skimmer is acting strange

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by SApicoreef, 8 Oct 2012.

1. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

hi guys

i have a jns sk2 skimmer

i run it at 20 cm deep in my sump and @Submariner recommended and i leave the blue water level controller thing wide open. it doesnt seem to pull anything out besides water for some reason

please help cause its starting to piss me off or does this usually happen when you setup a new tank with a skimmer

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

is the skimmer new? as in how new?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi SAPicoreef - at what level is the water inside the skimmer? Can you perhaps post a pic?

Many thanks.

5. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

the skimmer is brand new and in a newly setup tank

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi SAPicoreef. It takes any new skimmer up to three days before it actually starts to skim. But, I would still like to see a picture of your skimmer/sump and water levels, if you don't mind?

7. SApicoreef

the skimmer level controller thing is wide open and inside the skimmer all i can see is bubbles no water at all

thanks for the quick replys

8. SApicoreef

i mean buy new its been in the tank for over a week and the tank has been setup for the same amount of time

9. leslie hempel

the oils from the moulding prcess need to work out.. my last 2 skimmers took some time to pull really dark muck and that was on a loaded system.. your system isnt really loaded as its new and is going through the biological motions..

give it some time...

10. SApicoreef

okay will do.....what must i do about the over flowing though

11. leslie hempel

i would take the cup off and let it skim , but post a pic perhaps you have the skimmer too deep in the water? may need to be lifted...

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If it is just pushing water straight through then the venturi is not connected properly or blocked. Is there any foam being generated on top of the water inside the skimmer body? If clear water is pushed over the top into the cup with bubbles then it is too deep and you are skimming way too wet.

Its hard to say without pics or a vid.

13. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Tristan

Your tank is brand new it will take anything from 2 - 14 days for the skimmer to run in also if the blue precision level controller is fully open then you are not going to get any skimmate yet , you need to restrict the out flow to set the skimmer level.

Its probably ok now to start dialling the skimmer in so you can start turning the blue precision valve to set the water level in the skimmer.

Set it so the bubble (Water level is just below the Skimmer cup and see if it starts skimming)

The first time you dial the skimmer in will take a little fine adjustment but once its set you are good to go.

Hope this helps.

you know my number and pm if you need me for anything else.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2012
  14. SApicoreef

okay so i took the skimmer cup off as suggested by @leslie hempel and the skimmer is just pouring out the foam
    @Submariner are you sure that i should run this skimmer at 20 cm

thanks

15. Keanan

Keanan 2time

@SApicoreef, yip Nathan is right at that depth. Im running mine or ran mine at +-23 cm but now have it at +-20cm. They take some time to run in, mine took a good few days until it was properly up and running. What I did was run it in some vineger water to speed up the process.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2012
  16. SApicoreef

so must i put some vineger in my tank? and if so how much

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Be careful if you add too much vinegar, it is a carbon source and will cause cloudiness in your water because of the bacterial bloom, and decrease your pH and also deplete O2 which might be made worse if your skimmer isn't running, be paitient, it will come right. Post a pic bru, let us have a look, you shown yours and we'll shows ours :p. Sounds like you have to your setting is wrong on the water level controller for the skimmer.:)

18. leslie hempel

NO! no vinnegar in the tank!

the kind of vinnegar dosing we use for carbon sorce dosing is differrent to the amount you need to run a skimmer in... you should ideally run the skimmer in a seperate bucket/ tub and add a half to a bottle of vinnegar (R4.75 for 750ml) and allow for the acetic acid to remove the moulding oils... this should take about 1 - days with this method and strength of vinnegar

DO NOT PUT VINNEGAR IN YOUR TANK FOR THIS PURPOSE!

Please do alot of research about carbon sorce dosing before you venture in that direction... it can be a tricky subject and lead to all sorts of other problems if you dont know what to look out for.....

it can take up to 10 days for a skimmer to run in properly and then given that you have no load it will be tricky to define if the skimmer is in fact working as you will still need to get it set to work at the correct level..

i run my skimmer at a depth of 20cm (vertex alpha 200), i initially set my skimmer exhause pipe to be completley open to simply flush the skimmer for running in purposes... perhaps check the venturi pipe of your skimmer to make sure there is nothing blocking it which could lead to less air being pulled in and more water being driven into the skimmer..

a picture will definatley help....

19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

LOL @Lesie Hempel!:biggrin: So with you bud, I could see a beauty of a bloom in his tank!

20. Afsal

Afsal

@ Sapicoreef , the guys have been requesting pics , please do so in order to get a correct analysis of what is happening. Like this we justr guessing with try this and that ..... Hope I made sense

21. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Tristan

The skimmer will overflow bubble without a skimmer cup.

when a skimmer is running in especially a high performance skimmer like the JNS they tend to be unpredictable in the beginning hence why Leslie told you to leave the cup of.

If you want to start skimming now then you should put the cup on the skimmer and set the skimmer level just below the the skimmer neck.

The JNS run best at around 20cm

Last edited: 9 Oct 2012
Recent Posts