Skimmer Installation Issue

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by FransSny, 31 Mar 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Ideas please ?

Need to install internal ReefOcto 250 Extreme into an existing sump. This should be easy BUT clearance between sump & bottom of stand is not wide enough (170 mm, i need 260 mm)

This leaves me with 3 options (me thinks):

Option 1
    Drain the sump...need to do this anyway to change the internal chamber setup, pull the sump out of the stand, install skimmer and return sump to original position. I will have enough clearance to empty / clean skimmer cup but should I (or my client) ever have to remove the skimmer...repeat the whole process.

Option 2
    Drain first chamber, remove side panel and "shorten / lower" it by about 100 mm and refit. This would make removing the skimmer body possible, but water level inside the sump could be tricky in case of power failure.

Option 3

Drain first chamber, drill 2 holes and have the skimmer pumps inside & body outside. Problem is the pumps are set at an angle to the skimmer body making plumbing tricky ?

My gut is going with option 1 as should one have to clean inside the skimmer body, the skimmer chamber can be drained and in sump maintenance performed. Should a pump fail it can be unscrewed

Comments please DIY gurus

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete

Pete

Hey Frans I thinks you have answered yourself. I would go with option 1 or go external

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Hi Pete, thanks for the input, think thats the best option, was just concerned about maintaining the skimmer body as such .

External wont really work as there is no space...client doesnt want skimmer next to the cabinet

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there bud .... doesn't the cup have a drain plug to keep the cup "almost empty" all the time ..... and I stand to correction I think the Sicci pumps can be plumbed external as well.....

6. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Hpwzit chicka, you are correct on both issues. plmbing externally would however leave me with a space issue :p

7. Pete

Pete

No problem Frans, I think your only option is no 1 then

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Before I redid my sump I had this problem - then connected to cup to a 25 ltr bucket (must be "almost" see other you got poo all over the floor) and just remove the skimmer cup's cap and "rinse" every now and then ... and to clean the internal chamber - throw in a mini but powerful power head to "rinse" the insides ... and for those "major maintainance/cleanups remove sump then skimmer out....:thumbup:

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Will also go that way...except for the "remove sump" part. The bloody thing is 1,5 mtrs long with a 1 mtr DSB I am installing !

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Frans - terrible dilemma, mate. I too would say "Option 1". Good luck.

11. JD167

JD167

Frans, how about placing the sump on a base with small wheels that can easily be slid out. Your plumbing can be done to easily disconnect it from the sump. Once you've done your maintenance you can connect it all up again. You can still remove the cup when it's full and also remove the entire sump without draining it.

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

opshaaan numbaa waaan!

13. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Option 2, but silicon the cut out glass section back on. This way it retains its original height in case of overflows. Can always be cut out in future if major skimmer maintenance is required.

I dont think you want to fully drain the sump and pull it out every time you want to clean the skimmer or its pump?

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

dang now that is the smartest idea i have heard in a long time! talk about lateral thinking! i am really impressed

Recent Posts