skimmer info

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Konrad, 1 Nov 2010.

1. Konrad

Konrad

At the moment ive got the boyu dg2516 skimmer and want to upgrade, have looked at different models and decided to go for the Red Sea Berlin XL skimmer, is their anyone who have experiance using this skimmer?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Rather go for a reefocto skimmer.

4. Konrad

Konrad Thread Starter

is there any particular reason for choosing the reefocto skimmer above the Red Sea Berlin XL skimmer?

5. magman

magman

I used to use the cheaper skimmers, till I bit the bullet and committed to a decent reef octo, and you will regret the time you wasted on the others. If I was you I would rather buy a second hand reef octo than a new other make.......you wont regret it I promise, you can't describe it till you get one, set it right and you will be amazad, you must see how much my BB pulls out, and you think where does all that come from

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

Just a better more used brand. They cheaper as well.

7. durleo

durleo

Reef octo are excellent value for money - I have an aqua excell that is performing well - Tell us the size of ur tank and what fish and coral you plan on stocking?
    A good second hand skimmer is worth its weight in gold.

8. IMarine

IMarine

hi

Hi Konrad i would not go for red sea berlin very old school and if you do not get the berlin pump thats provided you will never ever get the skimmer to perform 100%,the other pump you can use is eheim 1260 pump but you got to get the proper impellor,the costing of the pump is +-R1500-R2000 and impellor R1200.00 if i am you rather opt for reef octo skimmers by far better and parts always available from lfs or if moola is not a prob then opt for your deltec,ati,atb etc

9. Suhayl

Suhayl

A Reeftek TS2 would be the most affordable skimmer to get hold of. Check in the for sale forums you might just find one. Regarding performance you would be surprised what this skimmer can do.

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I had one, paid about R2500 for it a couple of years ago, it worked, sort of, I removed the venturi, changed the pump, added a modified venturi onto the pump and it still worked, sort of. I ended up giving it away for free as I couldn't bring myself to making someone else pay for something that under-performed so badly. It is a very old design skimmer and the new ones surpass it in every way, once you compare the XL to one of the other newer skimmers you will be absolutely amazed at the difference in performance.

Recent Posts