Skimmer Info Required

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by riaanwium, 5 Nov 2014.

1. riaanwium

riaanwium

Hi Guys, i just want to get some info skimmers.

I looking to build a new tank and will be 1.8m(l) x 0.6m(w) x 0.5m(deep) and including the sump is close to 650L.

I've browsed many options and have taken a liking into the Bubble Magus Q7(rated for 900l), but still seems a bit pricey.

What other skimmer would be sufficient/good for this water volume?

Taking into consideration that it will be a mixed reef.

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScottK

ScottK

The Bubble Magus Q7 is pretty well priced for it's size, most other brands are going to be considerably more expensive. The Q7 may be not be big enough for a tank that size depending on what you plan on stocking and what filtration method you are going use. Most people try to get a skimmer that is close to or more than double their total water capacity. The Bubble Magus Curve 9 may be more suitable for that size of tank.

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you don't overload the tank with fish your should be fine with a skimmer rated for the system volume. I ran a 700L reef with a skimmer rated for 800L for 4 years with a medium fish load and it was doing well.

5. ScottK

ScottK

All skimmers are not created equal though :) Some skimmers seem to be grossly over rated while other brands seem to be more realistic with their ratings. Not knocking Bubble Magus a I have a Curve 9 myself but I think their ratings are based on very lightly stocked tanks.

6. riaanwium

riaanwium Thread Starter

The Q7 has a rating of 900l fully/slightly over stocked and 1200l light to medium stocked. :)

Recent Posts