Skimmer help needed urgently!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CarkKent, 2 Dec 2012.

1. CarkKent

CarkKent

Hi All

I'm looking to buy myself a new protein skimmer for my sump. The problem is I am kinda limited for space. The space I have to play with is 25cm x 20cm x 60cm (height of cabinet). I have had good experience with Reef Octopus in the past which is why I have the tendency go that way again. Currently I have a few options which I'm looking at which is on the limit of what space I have to play with.

My options are the Reef Octopus 2000 internal bubble blaster (which has a diameter of 150mm) and the Reef Octopus 2000 bubble blaster space saver (which has a diameter of 200mm). I'm also considering the Tunze 9410 so if you can give advice on that skimmer it would also be helpful. As you know the measurements the manufactures usually provide are not always accurate and the diameters in the above scenarios are obviously not the true space it will occupy.

Which is why I need help from you guys. Even though the manufacturers provided the footprint info is there anyone out there that has any of the above skimmers so that you can provide me with the exact measurements it required in the sump? Or is there perhaps any other quality skimmer (preferably in the 1000l/h range) that can fit in the space I have to play with?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Dec 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Mmmmmmm, they should be, don't see why they would want to give people the wrong impression and sizes. Both tunze and reef octopus are reputable brands and I would trust their dimensions. I have always gone with dimensions of goods that manufactured and planed tanks around that.

4. NickW

NickW

I also second guessed this previously, but from experience, the dimensions are 100% accurate, maybe not to the mm but deffinately to the cm, so if you are still unsure about the factory dimensions go for a skimmer that is just 1cm short of your limitations. Will give you peace of mind.

5. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Reef Octo 160 sx with new pin wheel pump is cool u need 210x210 535mm high I have one works like a bom rated for 900litre hr.
    Have a new one if interested

6. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

Hi Guys

THanks to all who replied, but Anita from Tunze has just thrown be a bone ;-) as they are having a fantastic special on the Tunze. And according to the dimensions of the skimmer it will easily fit into the space I have in my sump.:)

Thanks again for all your help

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

8. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

And of all the reviews I have read, the two aspects which stand out the most is the low power consumption (12w) and the noise factor :thumbup:

Recent Posts