Skimmer got you covered, think again.

Hi Mekaeel! Welcome back man! We missed you! ;-)
lol thanks Jacques.was away for the weekend,so missed out quite a bit,need to do some catching up ;)

Yes gali, pod etc will get trapped, but whether this is detrimental to overall system health..... I doubt. They will multiply in any environment free from predation, whether it be a sump, a dedicated refugium or difficult to reach areas in liverock structures. With the filter floss removing more food which would otherwise be available to podlife and other micro organisms, I suspect their population would decline anyway. But there is still plenty life crawling around my frag tank and sandbed.

I let my overflow run through filter floss, and it picks up something similar to your pics. I wash it every 3 days or so. I have seen a pod only here and there once in a while, but I must say that the filter floss hangs in the water in a net, so they probably can get out of it (it probably lets some detritus through, too, but catching what I'm catching is much better than not catching anything, IMO.

my sump runs in the same manner as described. i place filter floss on the panes of glass before it gets to my DSB. and clean it every 2 days. the stuff thats gets caught in it is nasty!!

iam a newbe talking here so dont lough..
that prefilter is it fittered after the water exits the protien skimmer or does it filter the water befor it enters the skimmer.
if it is the water that exits the skimmer cant you lead that pipe to a smaller lets say a airstone skimmer to take out the rest of the particals

Last edited:
that prefilter is it fittered after the water exits the protien skimmer or does it filter the water befor it enters the skimmer.
Answered
Installed a prefilter in before my skimmer:
, and not content that tis was enough to eliminate detritus settling on my dsb, i installed one before my dsb as well. (no pic, as too difficult to get camera in there)
So in this setup, there are two filter floss filters

if it is the water that exits the skimmer cant you lead that pipe to a smaller lets say a airstone skimmer to take out the rest of the particals
If skimmer does not take out what you want it to take out, then either the skimmer is not correct size, or the air bubbles through skimmer is not enough, or you need to upgrade your skimmer.

Personally I believe excess detritus settlement on the DSB is due to too low flow rate across the DSB. Most DSB issues are due to this, been there, and upgraded my return pump. Now I'm happy.

External skimmers, that is set up in a way that all the overflow water enters the skimmer directly, is better (supposedly) to remove all things ugly coming down the pipe. Internal skimmers, that pump water from first chamber into skimmer, obviously do not pump ALL the water and whatever it carries into the skimmer. And I prefer that. How do we get pods to run around in the DSB area if there are no food for them entering that area? I prefer some water to go to skimmer, and the rest to go directly to DSB.

A Filter sock can also be used. But filter sock or pre-filter with floss is extra work. And as with algae scrubbers, everything that is extra work, is a schlep. Especially when holiday season approaching and you have to get somebody to check your tank daily.

So, although its a brilliant idea, its not for me. so go ahead, call me lazy.

:whistling:
Answered

So in this setup, there are two filter floss filters

If skimmer does not take out what you want it to take out, then either the skimmer is not correct size, or the air bubbles through skimmer is not enough, or you need to upgrade your skimmer.

What exactly do we want it to take out? DOM? Well then what percentage of DOM do you want it to remove? Interesting that skimmate studies show doc removal by skimmers only about 30 percent, so doubt if a bigger skimmer or better skimmer will remove what we want it to. The rest is mostly ca, mg, etc, fortunately in the form of carbonates, I.e. Bound and not the biologically avail forms, most likely from plankton and bacterial "skeletal" matter.

Personally I believe excess detritus settlement on the DSB is due to too low flow rate across the DSB.
True, keep it suspended, until removed or turned into bioimass.

External skimmers, that is set up in a way that all the overflow water enters the skimmer directly, is better (supposedly) to remove all things ugly coming down the pipe. Internal skimmers, that pump water from first chamber into skimmer, obviously do not pump ALL the water and whatever it carries into the skimmer. And I prefer that. How do we get pods to run around in the DSB area if there are no food for them entering that area? I prefer some water to go to skimmer, and the rest to go directly to DSB.

The question is whether ext skimmers can remove enough at the instant the return overflow rushes through it, personally I think its much of a muchness..

A Filter sock can also be used.
not can, should!]

Last edited:
Aye
The question is whether ext skimmers can remove enough at the instant the return overflow rushes through it, personally I think its much of a muchness..
Agree, I do not like external either, normally more expensive, and I do not like the "openness" If it leaks, the floor is wet. Internal can leak, no problem.
Interesting that skimmate studies show doc removal by skimmers only about 30 percent,
I did not know that. Mostly thought that the skimmers that is inadequate are due to being too small for the system and or bioload.
The rest is mostly ca, mg, etc, fortunately in the form of carbonates, I.e. Bound and not the biologically avail forms
that is partly the reason why running ozone into the skimmer helps to remove bound and soon-to-be-bound minerals.
not can, should!
At end of the day, personal choice. I'm too lazy. :)

Last edited:
iam a newbe talking here so dont lough..

Tried routing it into a another skimmer, but it took forever to fill a tot of skimmate.
Best to add filter medium before and after skimmer.

Last edited:
but then theres least amount of maintanace
But for the cost of buying extra skimmer, and running it, plus space it needs, it not worthwhile

The particulates still went past second skimmer, so not really an option, and definitely not worth the expense. Rather go for the slightly higher maintenance of cleaning filter socks daily.

Hay bud great thread I use a in line filter box so all the water from the overflow gos though it i works great then it gos to the skimmer

Personally I'm using "pool gobbler" socks you can buy from builders in packs of 5. IMO they've got a smaller micron size than the standard sock you'll buy from a LFS. And they're washable. I couldn't believe the amounts of gunk it catches coming through the overflow. But like you said, cleaning it requires discipline and I'm already looking for another method as removing the sock and replacing is quite a mission.

Personally I'm using "pool gobbler" socks you can buy from builders in packs of 5. IMO they've got a smaller micron size than the standard sock you'll buy from a LFS. And they're washable. I couldn't believe the amounts of gunk it catches coming through the overflow. But like you said, cleaning it requires discipline and I'm already looking for another method as removing the sock and replacing is quite a mission.

Same with me, also use it but becoming a pain to remove and clean everytime.

for proteins to be removed they need a contact time of 2 minutes atleast, so i tend to agree with irie
prefilters are a must!

Back
Top Bottom