Skimmer for 1000liter setup?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Louis Scheepers, 25 Feb 2010.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Hi everyone.

I've been a member of MASA for a couple of days now, and have gotten a lot of good advice. I need a new skimmer for my system, but I don't know what to go for...

There are to much opinions about skimming and to many options so I really need help.

My current system is about 400liters, but I am upgrading to a 1000liter system next year, so I want to buy the right skimmer for my future setup.

Main display: 160x70x70
    Sump: 120x50x50

First: What are your opinions on over skimming? Some say you can't other say you can remove to many good nutrients. I want to remove max bad nutrients, without removing all the good ones? I got advice to buy a 1500liter skimmer?

Second: I know there are a lot of makes, but it seems to me that Reef Octopus is the best value for money...right? What about quality, I read about noise complaints on these skimmers?

Third: What skimmer of Reef Oc? There are so many different ones that they make...big price differences too! I am on a budget, so I want to buy the cheapest possible one, BUT I don't want to buy so cheap that I have to upgrade in a years time... These are some of the options:

3k price range:

ORCA-135-INT. Pin Wheel with Bubble Plate. Rated: 1200 liter.
    OCTX160. Pin Wheel with Bubble Plate. Rated: 900 liter.
    OCTX200. Rated: 1500 liter.
    TS3. Rated 1500 liter.
    DNW-200. Recirculating needle wheel. Rated: 1000 liter.

4k price range:

Reef Octopus Beckett Nozzle BK200. Rated: 1500 liter.
    Bubble Blaster (150mm chamber) Rated 800 liter.

I need advice urgently, so please help out!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Louis,

Skimmers everyone has their own personal favourite.

Overskimming...depends on the system, hi nutrient dependent systems (NPS) will deteriorate under over skimming conditions, where as LNS will not have any harm. Really depends on what you plan to keep fish, corals etc. Also you have to take the rest of the filtration (biological & chemical) into account.

I believe a larger rated skimmer is better and from the choices yo gave i would go for OCTX series, I also have one & very impressed.

Just keep in mind ...skimmer technology is evolving all the time...whats good this year might not be good next year (like IT)

4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I Have a External Reef Octopus Bubble Blaster skimmer that I am selling, its in excellent condition and will be great for your setup and future bigger setups..

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Get a price on a TS4 or look at a secondhand one - good value for money ;)

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

More important. Will the bigger skimmer you buy today fit into the sump space of your future tank?

Also you need a few cm above the skimmer to lift the cup. Some need 1 or 2cm, others need about 10cm.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Good point there Riaan, some guys forget about the maintenance on it later on :p

8. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

FransSny > thanx for info. At the moment I'm keeping fish and soft coral (might also keep LPS) later on. In the new setup I also want to keep SPS. So is that a high or low nutrient system? I have never hear about the two setups before. All I know is that every system needs certain nutrients and elements...? More info please!

Would you recommend the OCTX200?

Ridwaan > I have sent a pm.

Tobes > Isn't the TS4 a bit big for that system? The TS3 is rated at 1500liter and also the cheapest on my list!

RiaanP > I will design the future system from scratch so I'll make sure that everything fits!

Another thing, I've been reading about the new electricity increase, so that will also come into play... Which skimmer is the most energy efficient... The TS4 has 3 pump if I'm not mistaken...so that is quite a heavy load...

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Usually most guys recommend a skimmer twice the system volume and you said your new setup will be 1000litres - a TS3 is only 1500l and a TS4 is 2000 or 2500 (can't remember :p)
    You also said you working on a budget, and the TS range is the cheapest - that's why I said the TS4 ;)

10. FransSny

FransSny

Please see my answers above

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Frans, I am a little confused here, you are not suggesting that NPS (non photosynthetic) corals thrive under high nutrients are you? The way i understand it is that NPS need LOTS of food, this heavy feeding results in a high nutrient system, BUT the NPS corals like all corals deteriorate under high nutruient conditions, this is the main reason why it is so hard to keep a healthy NPS system alive....

The reason as i understand it that overskimming in an NPS system is bad is because it constantly removes the food that the corals need to survive ...

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i am going to put a skimmer rated for a 2000l tank in a 450L tank

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hey louis.. very nice to have yo aboard.. skimmers are a personal choice.. i prefer a bigger skimmer than needed for those times when you need it.. if something goes wrong then simply turn the skimmer up when it all settles readjust to resume skimming a smaller capacity..

as for brands i have found reefoctopus to be the better in terms of affordability vs lite capacity skimming, but brands like deltec and the like are very good skimmers that command a high price but i am beginning to think they have an egde on the copycats..

if you are interested i have a Ts4 for sale in the classifieds, it was rated for 2400lt but all the reefoctopus skimmers have recently been rerated.. so it's new rating is 1500lt or thereabouts..

as for OCTX200 i have one, cant say im too convinced for the money i spent.. i feel the pumps are suspect and the do not do what they claim.. or otherwise my system is too clean..

good luck with your decision but you are thinking in the right direction (bigger is better)

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Now don't overstock because of that :whistling:

give them their swimming space :razz:

15. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Neil,

Sorry I sometimes do my posts a bit shorthand ALL corals will deteriorate under high nutrient levels, (I should have used FOOD rather). Removing NUTRIENTS from NPS is a whole different thread I think

Your second paragraph is 100 correct and better to the point than mine. Thanks for correcting me (my post could have lead to LOTS of confusion ...my bad)

Louis, please see Neil's comments on my post for clarification

16. Louis Scheepers

I did a little research today. I like the OCTX250. Rated for 1500liter tank. This really got my attention: it uses a 25Watt pump... is that correct?

Look at this, The ORCA, TS3 and DNW uses 65Watt pumps, with new Electricity price, the skimmer will cost about R 46 a month. The old TS4 uses 3 38Watt pumps, will cost you R 82 per month.

The OCTX will cost you only R 18.

It is a difference, and although not a lot of money, when you add up all the watts a aquarium use it will make a difference. With the new tank, I will try to make the tank as energy efficient as possible.

We are reef keepers, and I believe we should look at our energy usage (think about coral bleaching). But that is just my opinion!

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there Louis what is the 250 going for now?

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Whatever you decide on, Reeftek TS range or Reef Octopus, they are all good skimmers and well worth it. Energy efficiency plays a big part in today's world of expensive electricity, once all of your tank is up and running you will be shocked at how much power it draws and how much it costs you at the end of the month, this is the same reason why I am going to remove my TS3 and replace it with a single pump skimmer. If I was you and can afford it then go for the OCTX250.

19. Louis Scheepers

There is one for 2.5k but I'm not sure if it is the 200 or the 250... Will hear from the shop tomorrow.

20. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Louis, something doesnt sound (or am I misunderstanding?) right R 2.5 K for a 250 is not real..

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

That figure should cover just the pump I think (maybe this is not a sicci pump?

Recent Posts