Skimmer Collection cups only Function

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Charl_Stanhope, 5 Oct 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey MASA

I just bought a Tunze 9002 skimmer. I forgot to add the skimmer dimentions to the measurements and now the skimmer doesnt fit into my tl550. Stupid,i know. or the skimmer fits but the cup is too long to fit without removing the hood. So its just the cup I need to get rid off.

Anyway. Does the skimmer cup do anything other than collect or has the way its shape got anything to do with efficiant skimming.

Here is my plan. I want to remove the cup,add a piece of pvc or pipe into the skimmer where the cup was supposed to be,connect a piece of clear tubing or hose to the pvc pipe and let the crap run all the way down to the ground into the cup or container. Does this make sense? Maybe Ill drink a few beers and then I will be able to explain better.:lol::lol:

I really hope there is a way to mod this skimmer to fit inside the hood coz I have already cut the magnet so there is no way of returning it for something else. :(

Last edited: 5 Oct 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the main element to consider is the spout where the skimmate rises.. in some cases (as in aquamedic skimers) this is designed to asssit the skimmer by pressure forcing the skimmate up into the cup..

different skimmers different pumps /airdraw = different pressures perhaps.. im not 100% sure on this but its my gut feel on the subject.. can anyone else elaborate?

4. FransSny

FransSny

LOL...and you were so stoked on getting the new skimmer. Could work IMO, would need some fine tuning though to get gunk to flow out

Or just get a bigger tank ;)

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

I was maybe too stoked and bought it before thinking it through. I wanna try and make the piece of pipe that goes into the skimmer(instead of the skimmer cup) the same shape,or as close to the same shape as the spout shape. dont know how but Im willing to give anything a go

My bigger tank is not too far away. Just got the feeling. need to move first. This small house is drivng me nuts. lol :)

Last edited: 5 Oct 2011
  6. Submariner

Submariner

What are the dimension of the chamber where the skimmer is going?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Can you not dremmel a round hole into lid so that the cup sticks out the top?

8. Charl_Stanhope

12.5*11cm . Its deep enough but the water level of the skimmer stops me from pushing the skimmer all the way down to the bottom.

9. Charl_Stanhope

might go that route but I want to keep that route as my last resort. It would work I tink but my diy skills aint that great and the odds of cutting a perfect hole for the skimmer to fit through is almost 0.

10. Renier

Renier

Doesn't have to be 100% perfect, get one of those rubber grommets to cover the edges
    you wont even see it.
    if you dont have a dremmel mark out the circle that needs to be cut and drill holes all the way around.then use a carpet knife to sepperate the circle from the lid and a file to smooth the rough edges.
    I wont change the skimmer cup.the cone is there for a reason.

Good luck dude

11. FransSny

FransSny

Charl , actually a very good idea Riaan gave you, I have a dremmel you can use. If worried about a steady had etc you can always cut a template first ( I will scratch around for some plywood)....or have a :peroni: or two before attempting :lol:

12. Charl_Stanhope

Decided Im gonna cut. Thanks for the advice Riaan. Will take some pics and upload tomorrow. Lets hope I dont screw it up.

13. Mc

Mc

Hope this works out, will be interesting to see how much of a difference this new skimmer makes.

14. Charl_Stanhope

Ive decided to cut the hood just a wee bit. Its actually alot easier than I thought. Nothing major. George from Tunze phones me now and given me some excellent advice. The service Ive received from them is top notch. well done. Was the greatest pleasure dealing with them.

Ill post some pics of the final outcome.

Recent Posts