Skimmer choice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by tharu07, 7 Jun 2016.

1. tharu07

tharu07

Hi Guys

I understand people are brand loyal when it comes to protein skimmers, but I would like advice that will assist me in deciding between the Reef Octopus NW 110 or the Bubble Magus Curve 5.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What size is your tank?
    You wont go wrong with either of those skimmers. Choice will prob come down to available space in your sump and budget.

viper357 likes this.
  4. tharu07

tharu07 Thread Starter

Hi 459b
    Thank you for response. The total water volume with the sump will be around 220L. The sump is not yet built, so can accommodate either skimmer.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've had both makes of skimmer, albeit different models to the ones you've mentioned. But I can honestly say you won't be sorry with either one of them, they are both very good skimmers. However, I would be more inclined to get the Reef Octopus, for the sole reason of the pump being on the outside of the skimmer body. With the BM, having the pump on the inside is cool and everything, but when it comes to having to clean the pump or the impellor, you literally have to remove the entire skimmer from out of the sump and dismantle both the bottom and inside of the skimmer in order to get to the pump, this is what frustrates me with my BM skimmer, it's not a quick and easy job, especially if you have something like chaeto in your sump and a few strands get sucked into the impellor, they just sit there forever and obstruct the airflow/waterflow. Whereas with the Octopus the pump is on the outside and would be so much easier to clean/maintain, the skimmer doesn't have to be hauled out of the sump just to get to the pump. So apart from that little niggle, both skimmers will perform very well.

6. tharu07

tharu07 Thread Starter

Hi Viper357

Thank you very much for that excellent response. It certainly goes a long way in aiding my decision making. Much appreciated!

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Pleasure, good luck in choosing one.

Recent Posts