Skimmer buying advice

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by ScottK, 14 Jul 2012.

1. ScottK

ScottK

The tax man has been quite kind to me this year so I have decided to upgrade my skimmer. My system is currently only around 240L's but am planning on upgrading to between 500L and 600L in the next year or so so want to buy something that will accomodate the upgrade at a later stage. I am currently running a Bubble Magus NAC3 which I don't think is quite cutting the grade with NP pellets.

My thoughts so far are between the following 3:

JNS SK-2
    Reef Octopus Extreme 200XS
    Reef Octopus Bubble Blaster 1000INT

Any thoughts on the above three or any other suggestions in a similar price range?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I saw lockes selling an ati bubblemaster on here somewhere. Really gr8 skimmers

4. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I've been doing a bit of reading over the weekend and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on whether using an over rated skimmer is good, bad or makes no difference.

All of the skimmers I am looking at are rated at least 3-4 times higher than my total water volume of 250L's. I am running biopellets which dictates using a larger skimmer but will going 4 times higher cause issues?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

basic assumptions

1) bigger will not skim more but skim out what there is quicker.
    2) for bio pellets/ carbom dosing its better to have a bigger skimmer should you overdose etc
    3) other than more oxygen along with the above thats all you going to get extra for your money..

personally id advise you to go double your system volume and add a skimmer neck cleaner to allow a consistent action... less fiddling due to oils on hands etc during cleaning = consistent stable bubble prodcution and better overall skimming..

Recent Posts