Skimmer "Boiling" - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by PeterL, 11 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have an aquamedic T1000 and was doing some work around the tank today and then got to target feeding my plant life, I switched off the skimmer in the target feed and got every one's belly nice and full:thumbup:...then all hell broke loose:(...

I switched on the skimmer and instead of it producing a nice fuzz of air inside the tube it now includes large bubble crating a boiling effect , no matter what I do I just can't get it right. Even just tried letting it run for a while and maybe let it "settle", that makes zero difference and it just won't come right - I need to fix this because after feeding I have awesome cloudy water and need to sort this out ASAP - Skimmer has to come into action!!!!

!!!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey boet

here are some suggestions

i had something similar happen to me and it turned out the impeller was shot... so look into that first

second is perhaps the air intake is blocked... soak it in warm water to disolve the salt

if it is the impeller and you can do nothing then i suggest the following

Run cotton woon to take out some of the solids

the food should not be a problem now, so leave it for 12 hours or so and do a WC in the morning ... prepare the wter now with heaters etc

gives you time to get a new impeller if that is the issue

was lekker meeting you on Sat by the way

good luck

N

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK found the thread - please post a pic so we can "see" what exactly is going on with the skimmer.....

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Oh by the way ... the skimmer is not boiling ..... its skimming "wet"

6. Neil H

nah boet, got to disagree with you here .... skimming wet still requires fine bubbles in the reaction chamber not the "boiling effect" large bubbles make ;)

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

100% correct - my bad just got the PM now from explaining this a little more in detail .... My bet would be a shot impellor or at least a few blades missing due to the fact that bubbles are not being "minced" properly

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

it is difficult to see her but I have just turned it up to get the bubbles into the cup for an idea, that "head" you see is large bubbles but they are fast moving in the appearance of a boiling effect, not accumulative in the sence of scum removal...the way it is will not remove any dirt...

The airline is new piping and checked, no blockage. Some additional random info, I had it running 100%, I switched it off and then since putting it back at about 5pm (now 9:45pm) I have been batteling and just don't have a solution to get it working right again...

Good meeting you too Neil...This is the skimmer I got on Saturday that I am referring to - more reference info

I am begining to think that the impeller may be too far worn...

[​IMG]

9. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

It is a needle wheel impeller, needles 100%, the magnet has some score marks, I will try take a pic and post it

10. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I forced the "wet skimming" look just for the pic, otherwise this happens lower down and the pic then doesn't show anything of any use

11. crispin

crispin

hey zombie, i think niel has it correct, id check the air intake but that soiunds unlikley as it seems to be getting some air atleast. it certainly sounds like the impeller to me.

it maybe that there is a physical block in there too with you doing tank maintance maybe something went down the overflow, although i still lean towards a few teeth missing on the impeller.

i am however concern on two accounts, one that you turn skimmer off when feeding heavily, and two that you feed so heavily that its clouded the water, what were you feeding with?

as nielH says, prepare to be able to do water changes while you can open the skimmer pumps up.

another easy test for the airline is simply to block it with your finger and see waht the effect on the chanber is? often salt gets in there and blocks air. If the chamber runs clear (no bubbles) while you block it and then you can back to the boiling effect i would suggest you can rule out the air intake and concertrate on the impeller.

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Those bubbles look good but they a bit low in the neck aren't they?

13. crispin

crispin

from the pic those bubbles dont look that bad to me at all, which means i havent understood what you mean by boiling as i took that to be very large bubbles intermitedly comming up the skimmer?

14. crispin

crispin

again i lead towards a blockage of some sort....check the inflow to the chamber

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

My thoughts exactly..... Shouldn't it be a wee bit higher though..... I always thought the bubbles are supposed to break to the surface just below the rim of the inner ring so that after awhile the eccess will spill over into the collection cup....

16. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I had no choice because I was all out of proper food so I did the "pestel and mortar" effect with some pellets and then soaked them. I have a solid perspex tube attached to a air line where I can draw in te food and "squirt" it gently around the guys needing feeding, as a result, it emmits a bit of a cloud in the process - it isn't harsh cloudy, but there are particle remains in the water.

Based on the reaction of the plants I found that to be successfull, no negativity from anything, strangely of all the foods I have ever given my Candy Cane, this is oddy given the happiest result - I just took a random chance and it appears super happy with that...

Now with "full bellys", I have a crazy water issue to contend with - awesome, never a dull moment with marine life.

17. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

zombie, was your hands in the tank alot, what did you feed ? sometimes that can have an effect on the amount of bubbles...

18. crispin

crispin

Jessica has some info for you.....
    [SIZE=-1]Is coral an animal or a plant? My science book said that it was an animal, but I have always thought that it is a plant. — Jessica of Columbia, MO[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Dear Jessica,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Your science book is right. Corals look like plants, and they don't move around like a lot of animals, but they are animals. What we see as branches actually are whole colonies of coral animals. Each animal, called a polyp, has a hard skeleton and a soft body. This is attached to rock, or to the skeletons of dead polyps. What we sometimes see as flowers actually are the tentacles with which they capture food from the water. One of the main differences between plants and animals is that plants make their own food, whereas animals must eat plants or other animals.:p ie your plants are animals :)[/SIZE]
    but back to the skimmer issues, have you checked the air intake?

19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I think I am not being understook correctly herre, by closing the outlet I have risen the water level. The bubbles you see there are the boiling bubbles, that isn't any part of a skim "head". In normal opperation those bubbles would climb the cone and into the cup. This boiling effect is keeping the bubbles "fresh" because the bubbles running up the skimmer through the water are too big. Now because of the big bubbles breaking on the surface and not tiny fine bubbles as would be in normal opperation, there is no way for accumulation of the dirt. It is as it the large bubbles keep rinsing the dirt from accumulating in a froth/foam which in turn would rise up the cone and be discarded...

The point is, with these large bubbles, no head can be formed because it is too vigourous - Like I almost migh as well put a coarse air stone inside the DT, it will do the same, no accumulation of fine bubbles to "catch" the scum

20. Neil H

you know what .... looking at that pic... there MAY be a chance that this skimmer needs to be run in .... needs a bacteria film to build up....

is the impeller part rotating around the shaft?as the impeller assembly should be one unit,..... i had an impeller like that,...... it worked fine sometime but not all the time, took me ages to figure out the issue

21. Neil H

is the pump actually pushing much water through the skimmer... definately sounds like an impeller issue to me

Recent Posts