Skimmer air pump...

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Annoying, 11 Jan 2010.

1. Annoying

Annoying

OK I was a bit bored tonight and thaught maybe I can modify my skimmer a bit... I had an battery air pump and thaught this could be interesting, but first here is the pic of the skimmer without an airpump...
    [​IMG]

And now with the airpump...

[​IMG]

Ok I know it's not a big suprise but the suprise came to me when I turned of the air pump! There was almost no difference in the amount of bubbles. The only difference was the speed of the rotation of the water in the skimmer.But as soon as I unplug the airpump the bubble level goes bak to the old level. For some reason the air pump lets in more air then if the air pipe was hanging freely!
    Any comments on how this could be...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

TS2? the pumps air draw ability is restricted.. you could encourge more air intake by drilling the venturi's bigger but you need to be careful not to damage it.check that the washer isnt blocking the venturi aswell change it to an o ring instead of a flat washer.. Alan explains this nicley in a thread called "the reef octopus clan" he modded his DNW250 in this manner..

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

It's a TS3. Thanks for the info but I'm actually happy wit the output of the skimmer was just curios what would happen with the air pump any ideas on why the air intake doesn't change much after I switched of the air pump?

5. FransSny

FransSny

Interesting question Annoying, I also tried it a while back...no real improvement so tagging along to see what the others say

6. Tony

Tony

I've known a few guys who have modified their skimmers this way, especially the cheaper brands like Jebo and Weirpro

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

But the funny thing is that the air pump is of it's not running at all and I used an normal air tube wich is smaller then the inlet of the skimmer and yet the bubble level is to the bottom and I have finer bubble at the botom of the funnel so there is more air reaching the top... One thing I can think of is that it works like a hosepipe, thanks to the piece in the air pump squishing the flow it works like when you put your thumb on the end of the hosepipe, there is no extra flow but the flow that you get is allot stronger and goes further. The same with the air it doen's give more air but the air goes faster in throwing it to the bottom... Does this make sence:whistling:

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you left it like that overnight and the effect was still the same?

9. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Yes I left it like that last night and this morning(and now still) it looks tha same and it's deffinetley skimming much more then usually...

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Strange, so the airpump and airline is still connected but just not switched on? I know that if you restrict the inflow of water slightly then the pumps tend to suck in more air, but you've restricted the airline, weird. If it's working then leave it.

11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Yip the airpump is switched off. I've left it for today and it gave me almost half more skimming then normal... Just wish I could know why it does that...

12. FransSny

FransSny

strange..if someone figures this out I would like to know as well. But as Viper said if it works....

13. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

YES!!! I think I finally got it!!!:thumbup:

Ok I redid my tank and everything and the skimmer I let it run without anything stuck to the pipe. The bubbles only went to half in the skimmer chamber, then I used a airhose clamp and started to lower the amount of air able to suck in. Then I noticed the amount of water exiting the skimmer is getting allot more and the bubbles were getting more! Then I realised if the amount of air supplying the skimmer is TO large for the needle wheel pump. Mey theorie is at the stage when the skimmer is sucking the normal amount of air ( no mods done what so ever) the pump is more concentrated on getting air then it is geeting water. The primary thing about the venturi is that it uses water to create a vacuum. Now with less water a smalle vacuum is formed giving less bubbles. If you close the intake of the venture a little the water gets hance to create a bigger suction thus cucking in more air then normal and giving greater water movement through it.

Does this make any sence...

14. DanH

DanH

Yes it does, the pump can't pull air, only water and some air mixed in with the water. If there's to much air then the needle wheel cavitates a bit and ends up not pulling much.

A lower air to water ratio will allow the pump more throughput. So you can actually pull more water and more air as well by restricting the airflow slightly and you land up with more bubbles in the skimmer chamber as the water is passing faster through the skimmer chamber.

So you want more bubbles, mod your pump to flow more water and the bubbles will come, the elbow and the output can be drilled out. ;)

15. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

So my theorie is very possible... I want to know if you guys can't try the same with your skimmers... Just clamp the air intake(with a normal air clamp we use on air pumps) until the outlet of the skimmer is throwing out allot of small bubbles. Just to see if this mod will work.

Recent Posts