Skimmer.....again

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by SApicoreef, 23 Dec 2012.

1. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

I'm really getting pissed off with this skimmer in general (JNS SK-2)

I run it at the recommended depth of 20 cm. still it overflows with the adjustment thing wide open and the skimmate is really clear.

What must I do together this thing pulling out some stuff..also have been using special blend but that should reduce skimmate production

Can some one please help and give me DETAILED instructions to get this pulling out some gunk

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Never used jns, but you can run it higher?
    I found in my years that skimmers all need tweaking at instructions are a guide
    Our tanks vary and sometimes something makes them go crazy, leave it in the water for a day or so and let some of the gunk get the skimmer to break in

Also if you add a valve on the air intake to regulate the air

4. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

The skimmer is at the right level...also I checked the pump and inspected the impeller and I think the impeller is cracked...would that be causing the skimmer to overflow.

Don't want to change skimmer with mods or anything as I think I might be taking this back to @Submariner for the vertex omega cause I'm not happy with the skimmer at the moment

Do you think having no bio load would be causing the skimmer to produce the clear skimmate I'm getting... Or could I have too clean water with no bio load and bio pellets

Thank

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Could be the pellets and bac dosing combo, but if it doesnt settle afte a few days definitely go for the vertex.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Could be pellets but regulating the air is not really a mod, I find that new skimmers can over perform in the beginning

7. SApicoreef

Okay cool...thanks for the help...I will leave the skimmer running but must I tank the skimmate out even if its basically clear tank water... Keeping in mind I don't want to change my salinity at all

Starting to think I should go for the vertex though

8. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

I also never run a JNS, just as a comparison though.

I'm running a 1.7Lx700Wx650H with 6 tangs and 200kg of live rock so it's a very low bio load and my old Aquamedic Twin 5000 and its pulling out dark Avo green thick skimmate that is paste like in texture. The first two weeks without any fish it pulled dark green liquid but never clear.

You sure you don't want to try raise your skimmer, it sounds like its pulling tank water into the collection cup.

Try raising it would be my suggestion.

9. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

How long is your tank running as skimmers tend to overflow in new saltwater.
    Is venturi blocked? as this can cause skimer to pull in more water then air.

Did you try to lift skimmer to.check if it makes a differance?

10. Rossi

Rossi

Can we get a pic, that might assist in giving an answer

11. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Also anothee thing if it helps...I noticed my skimmer overflow when i added seachem stability...maybe it was the new saltwater with seachem stability..mmmmmm..i dunno..lol

i just took off the cup and let it overflow for couple days and it settled in.

12. SApicoreef

I did do a 25 percent water change when we moved houses and added more bio pellets to what was left in the container I transported them in.. The Venturi isn't bloked but my bio pellets reactor outlet is right there

I think I'm not going to rise skimmer but take off the cup and close the valve fully and let it run for a week or so

Any thoughts
    Thanks

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Why would you want to do this? I would also suggest raising it to skim drier.

14. SApicoreef

Just want to let it run in and in 3 days if it is still overflowing I will raise the skimmer 5 cm or what ever works

Thanks guys

15. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

You might be right about the bio pellets...because my skimmer also overflowed with new bio pellets...come to think of it..i assumed it was the stability I was adding and my skimmers only overflowed since i started with pellets....mmmmmm very interesting...

I think my skimmer settled down once the pellets got kicked in...

16. SApicoreef

i think it could be the pellets...hmmmm

17. eddiead

eddiead

I'm running biopellets. It does make a difference to the skimate. My outlet of the biopellet reactor is not located at the intake of the skimmer pump, but it still skims much more foamy than without the biopellets.

18. Submariner

Submariner

Hi SA Picoreef

How is the skimmer doing has it settled down yet?

You mentioned there was a issue with the impellor please send me a picture if possible.

Would like to sort this out for you ASAP.

19. SApicoreef

@Submariner when I get home I will email you some pictures and all the details for the skimmer

Thanks again

Tristan

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts