Skimmate

Reaction score
When cleaning skimmate, if this scum dangerous, health wise. What should skimmer bowl be cleaned with ?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Don't think theres anything particularly dangerous about it but of course whatevers in a reef could be in there. I just use lots and lots of water for cleaning skimmer cup. If you really need to you can soak it in vinegar.

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't want to start using something that is not good for the system

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I rinse the cups out under the tap with a sponge and then dry the riser tube and replace.

Mekaeel

Reaction score
keep in mind that skimmate can be dangerous in a system if your skimmer overflows.im talking from experience,when sometime back my old Via Aqua sk388 dumped skimmate into my tank,it killed alot of my fish,and my nitrates ans amonia levels shot right up.
healthwise,i wouldnt let it touch my skin if theres an open wound,and i would also not drink it lol

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I use a dedicated bristle brush to clean my skimmer cup, I clean it under the tap and because I don't have a wife I do it in the kitchen sink :biggrin:

Reaction score
i just throw it in my moms plants:) ! and then just rinse it out with my hand and scrub the neck with my fingers, i bite my nails so often i get dat little bit of skin/cut at the bottem of my nail and have still cleaned the skimmer. it just makes you tuffer

Last edited:

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
i just throw it in my moms plants:) ! and then just rinse it out with my hand and scrub the neck with my fingers, i bite my nails so often i get dat little bit of skin/cut at the bottem of my nail and have still cleaned the skimmer. it just makes you tuffer
:lol: :lol: :lol: